AMERICAN SILENT HORROR, SCIENCE FICTION AND FANTASY FEATURE

So you want to discuss silent drama, science fiction, horror, noir, mystery and other NON-COMEDY films? Look no further, this is the place.
Richard M Roberts
Godfather

AMERICAN SILENT HORROR, SCIENCE FICTION AND FANTASY FEATURE

Postby Richard M Roberts » Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:15 pm

I definitely want to put in a nice word about John Soister and Henry Nicolella’s (along with Steve Joyce, Harry H. Long and Bill Chase)’s encyclopedia AMERICAN SILENT HORROR, SCIENCE FICTION AND FANTASY FEATURE FILMS 1913-1919:

http://www.amazon.com/American-Science- ... f=pd_ybh_2

published by McFarland. Though it came out in 2012, I’m surprised by a paucity of reviews and publicity it seems to have received and, as I’ve just finished reading it myself, think it deserves a whole heck of a lot more praise and publicity. A hefty 800 pager, in two volumes, but a very comprehensive coverage of both obscure and well-known spooky, spacey, and strange silent films, many currently lost, but well essayed here, lots of neat new information entertainingly written. Do not be discouraged by the cover price, it’s definitely worth every penny. Soister, Nicolella, and Co. cover a number of silents that, though they may not be completely classified under any of the book’s headings, contain some element of horror or fantasy that make them worthy of mention, and most likely receive here the only historical writing they will ever get. I recommend this book highly, your shelves need it.

RICHARD M ROBERTS