Stills from Silent Wellman Films Needed

So you want to discuss silent drama, science fiction, horror, noir, mystery and other NON-COMEDY films? Look no further, this is the place.
Frank Thompson

Stills from Silent Wellman Films Needed

Postby Frank Thompson » Sat Apr 08, 2017 8:34 am

John Gallagher and I are in the final stages of a book on which we've labored for literally decades, "Nothing Sacred: The Cinema of William Wellman."

We are issuing it first as a limited edition -- probably no more than 100 copies. It will be, in essence, our dream version of the book which no publisher would be crazy enough to touch. The book is probably going to exceed 800 pages, with dimensions of 12" x 9", printed in full color throughout and containing hundreds, perhaps more than a thousand, images, including many incredibly rare and previously unpublished production stills.

We actually have a collection of nearly 7000 images to choose from but with all that, we're still light on a few, including "When Husbands Flirt" (1925) and "The Cat's Pajamas" (1926). If you have have stills (or posters or lobbies) that you would be willing to scan at at least 300 dpi, please get in touch. Please don't point us towards pictures on the Internet. With rare exceptions, those are too low-res to use in a book. And you can assume we've gone to every major archive in the U.S. (and a few elsewhere in the world), scouring their collections. What we're hoping for now is a silent collector or two that we otherwise wouldn't have encountered.

We've devoted a FB page to the upcoming book, if you'd like to check that out.

Thanks very much for any help you can offer.

https://www.facebook.com/wildbillwellman/

Frank Thompson

Louie Despres
Associate

Re: Stills from Silent Wellman Films Needed

Postby Louie Despres » Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:04 am

I know it's not listed but I may have a couple candids on the set of "Wings" shot by El Brendel.