Nitrateville General Jack-Assery: A Load of Jitter-Judder

So you want to discuss silent drama, science fiction, horror, noir, mystery and other NON-COMEDY films? Look no further, this is the place.
Richard M Roberts
Godfather

Nitrateville General Jack-Assery: A Load of Jitter-Judder

Postby Richard M Roberts » Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:45 am

Louis Despres actually gave me a heads up about this one, as I ‘m actually finding less and less reason to visit that sad little site, but several of Nutratevilles resident oddballs, Doug Sulpy, Jeff Nelson (monikered Waveyboy or some such) and John Aldrich (nameless title AssJazzman or JazzAsshole, something like that, I can’t remember) decided to partake in some of that patented Nutrateville “civility” as they got into a heated argument over another whine regarding the horrible imperfections of the recent Cohen Media Group Blu-Ray release of THIEF OF BAGDAD, and Kino releases of THE BLACK PIRATE, DIE NIBELUNGEN, and LES VAMPIRES in the Nutrateville Thread on the SAFETY LAST BLU-RAY.

Nelson, who obviously needs to get a new monitor, as he has already proven he can’t tell a 35mm video transfer from a 16mm video transfer, took it upon himself to post a “Declaration of Jitter’ to his thread NON 24-FPS SILENTS ON BLU MASTERED AT 1080p CAUSING JITTER to warn the World of these horrible, unwatchable releases, and it was even suggested that he send this off to Kino and Cohen to set them straight and tell them how to get it right (that’ll show `em). It also got into a heated debate between Aldrich and Nelson as to whether the correct technical term was “Jitter” or “Judder”.

What I love is that whatever the problem is called, it stems from those films being transferred at speeds slower than 24 fps, which, with the exception of LES VAMPIRES, is the speed those films needed to be transferred at in the first place. It all ended in a shouting match between Aldrich and Sulpy reaching new levels of pomposity and condescension, and all that crap they used to accuse me of. Louis Despres even suggested that he was going to pm the moderators and suggest some of the members be thrown off for good. Bravo Louie.

Can’t even say I miss being over there these days.

RICHARD M ROBERTS

Louie Despres
Associate

Re: Nitrateville General Jack-Assery: A Load of Jitter-Judde

Postby Louie Despres » Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:40 am

I just find it hypocritical that the mods would allow some of that crap to happen and they do noting about it but they threw you off.

Pasquale Ventura

Postby Pasquale Ventura » Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:32 pm

It's always the same individuals who watch a DVD release and spend more time looking for problems than actually watching the movie and enjoying it. Constant complains over the silliest miner details that others never notice.

Joe Migliore
Cugine

Postby Joe Migliore » Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:23 pm

Pasquale Ventura wrote:
It's always the same individuals who watch a DVD release and spend more time looking for problems than actually watching the movie and enjoying it. Constant complains over the silliest miner details that others never notice.

I waited a long time for the Charley Chase DVD CUT TO THE CHASE!, an excellent companion to the BECOMING CHARLEY CHASE set. When it was released last year, I bought it, and was as happy with it then as I am now. One of the individuals in question never misses an opportunity to carp about how the windowboxing degrades the whole experience. I can't imagine anyone not seeing some relatively rare Chase titles because they would have to bear the abject terror of a windowbox.

Pasquale Ventura

Postby Pasquale Ventura » Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:30 pm

I purchased the CUT TO THE CHASE DVD as well and am as happy with it as you are. For myself, when engrossed in the entertaining comedies the windowboxing isn't even an issue-or noticable. It's an excellent set and I agree, a wonderful companion to BECOMING CHARLEY CHASE.

Both sets offer some truly rare comedies to enjoy and that's most important above all else.

Richard M Roberts
Godfather

Postby Richard M Roberts » Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:58 pm

Pasquale Ventura wrote:I purchased the CUT TO THE CHASE DVD as well and am as happy with it as you are. For myself, when engrossed in the entertaining comedies the windowboxing isn't even an issue-or noticable. It's an excellent set and I agree, a wonderful companion to BECOMING CHARLEY CHASE.

Both sets offer some truly rare comedies to enjoy and that's most important above all else.

What problem could one possibly have with Windowboxing? Especially when most of the prints used in that set were 16mm, it's a perfect way to insure that no more of the pictures edge has been lost. Did the complainer have something against letterboxing as well? Fans of pan and scan are they?

RICHARD M ROBERTS

Joe Migliore
Cugine

Postby Joe Migliore » Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:24 am

Richard M. Roberts wrote:
What problem could one possibly have with Windowboxing? Especially when most of the prints used in that set were 16mm, it's a perfect way to insure that no more of the pictures edge has been lost.

The problem, according to one thread, is that the windowbox is "unnecessarily smallifying the image". That's an exact quote. I think something that profound speaks for itself.

Louie Despres
Associate

Postby Louie Despres » Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:22 am

Joe Migliore wrote:Richard M. Roberts wrote:
What problem could one possibly have with Windowboxing? Especially when most of the prints used in that set were 16mm, it's a perfect way to insure that no more of the pictures edge has been lost.

The problem, according to one thread, is that the windowbox is "unnecessarily smallifying the image". That's an exact quote. I think something that profound speaks for itself.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Incredible!

For those who do not know, Doug Sulpy is also a well known author on Beatles bootlegs and for years has put out "The 910", a fanzine which reviews and discusses mainly Beatles bootleg releases. Funny thing is, if you read his fanzine, it comes off like he doesn't like the Beatles at all and is always complaining about their songs, musicianship, or something else, like the recent overhaul and remastering of their CD's which he hated and said they were subject to "loudification". He also has a Beatles discussion forum which he holds a tight grip over and allows pretty much no one questioning his authority or his opinion. I got thrown off of it because, during a "discussion" about how he thought George Harrison was not a good guitar player (in a thread about the Scorsese documentary), I wrote in my reply, "How can someone who hates the Beatles so much, write about them all the time?". He gave me a warning. My banning came a short while later when he wrote a comment and I replied. I saved it before it was pulled and I was kicked off:

Richard M Roberts
Godfather

Postby Richard M Roberts » Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:25 am

George Harrison not a good guitar player? One more reason to write off Sulpys opinions in general.

RICHARD M ROBERTS

Jim Roots

Postby Jim Roots » Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:31 am

Loudify? Smallify?

What, the producers didn't embiggen it?

Jim
When you're surrounded by vultures, playing dead is not a good strategy.