MYSTERY SEA RAIDER (1940) WITH Carole landis

SOUND MOVIE MAIN is the spot to discuss non-comedy SOUND films. Go figure.
Richard M Roberts
Godfather

MYSTERY SEA RAIDER (1940) WITH Carole landis

Postby Richard M Roberts » Wed May 14, 2014 1:09 pm

Hey Kids, it's B-movie time!

Here's a fun little Paramount programmer with the lovely Landis, Henry Wilcoxon in a rare lead, all under Eddie Dymtryk's direction (he handled a number of terrific B's):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0S5UXcvzs8g

RICHARD M ROBERTS

Gary Johnson
Cugine

Re: MYSTERY SEA RAIDER (1940) WITH Carole landis

Postby Gary Johnson » Fri May 16, 2014 10:39 am

Dymtryk is one of those directors who's early work is often more fun and easier to take than when they become fully matured directors.
Most of his films from the 50's tend to be rather ponderous (although I've always had a soft spot for THE YOUNG LIONS (58))

Richard M Roberts
Godfather

Postby Richard M Roberts » Sat May 17, 2014 1:29 am

Gary Johnson wrote:Dymtryk is one of those directors who's early work is often more fun and easier to take than when they become fully matured directors.
Most of his films from the 50's tend to be rather ponderous (although I've always had a soft spot for THE YOUNG LIONS (58))

Oh , I don't know, he did some good films in the 50's: THE SNIPER (1952), THE CAINE MUTINY(1954), BROKEN LANCE (1954), and I particularly like WARLOCK (1959) with Henry Fonda, and MIRAGE (1965) is a pretty darn good thriller and his last worthwhile movie.

That said, Dymrtyk did helm some terrific B films, including various Columbia detectives like Boston Blackie and the Lone Wolf. THE DEVIL COMMANDS (1941) is a good Karloff spooker, and he also did another fun Paramount B called TELEVISION SPY in 1939.

RICHARD M ROBERTS

Gary Johnson
Cugine

Postby Gary Johnson » Sat May 17, 2014 2:45 pm

Yes, we are in agreement over his work in the 40's but it is titles like BROKEN LANCE and CAINE MUTINY that come to mind when I think of OK movies made by Dymtmyk that should have been more engaging than they are. Something like SOLDIER OF FORTUNE takes forever to get moving.....and it's only an hour and a half running time.
Basically I find him a rather up and down A list director. He needs a tight script to begin with or he gets lost.
(Yeah, WARLOCK is very memorable. Wonder why I forgot it then?)