NY Times: Other Side of the Wind to be Restored, Released

SOUND MOVIE MAIN is the spot to discuss non-comedy SOUND films. Go figure.
Rob Farr
Godfather

NY Times: Other Side of the Wind to be Restored, Released

Postby Rob Farr » Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:01 pm

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/29/movie ... phone&_r=0

This just means the legal hurdles have been cleared for... something. I'm not expecting a Welles masterpiece from beyond the grave. In fact, God knows what condition the material is in after four decades (note that Beatrice kept it in a warehouse, not an archive. It would be Orson's last joke on the world if the cans were opened only to reveal a vinegary goop. I can hear his booming laughter now.
Rob Farr
"If it's not comedy, I fall asleep" - Harpo Marx

Richard M Roberts
Godfather

Re: NY Times: Other Side of the Wind to be Restored, Release

Postby Richard M Roberts » Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:08 pm

Rob Farr wrote:http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/29/movies/hollywood-ending-near-for-orson-welles-last-film.html?smid=nytcore-iphone-share&smprod=nytcore-iphone&_r=0

This just means the legal hurdles have been cleared for... something. I'm not expecting a Welles masterpiece from beyond the grave. In fact, God knows what condition the material is in after four decades (note that Beatrice kept it in a warehouse, not an archive. It would be Orson's last joke on the world if the cans were opened only to reveal a vinegary goop. I can hear his booming laughter now.

Well, if you read the article, you'll find that the materials are apparently in very good shape.

Who knows if it will come to fruition or fall apart, who ever thought the footage to TOO MUCH JOHNSON would ever resurface? I think the chances are better for Orson's 100th Birthday than any other time because of the publicity the film would get, if they do not do it now, the diminishing returns on the interest in Welles will creep in and I'm sure at this point all parties involved could use the cash. We'll see.

RICHARD M ROBERTS

Gary Johnson
Cugine

Re: NY Times: Other Side of the Wind to be Restored, Release

Postby Gary Johnson » Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:59 am

There is a new documentary on Welles that has recently been getting airtime on the festival circuit -- MAGICIAN was made by Chuck Workman, who made a big splash back in the 80's with the short PRECIOUS IMAGES. Reviews of MAGICIAN say that there are few new revelations for those familiar with Welles career trajectory, but that it is well put together with much archival footage (Workman's specialty) and unlike other retrospectives on Welles that love to stress that it was all downhill after AMBERSON's, Workman argues that Welles continued to put out quality work his entire career.