Groucho's Sunset Boulevard

SOUND MOVIE MAIN is the spot to discuss non-comedy SOUND films. Go figure.
Eric Cohen
Associate

Groucho's Sunset Boulevard

Postby Eric Cohen » Thu Jun 18, 2015 4:19 am

Raised eyebrows indeed:
Deadline Hollywood: "Rob Zombie is ready to expand beyond the horror genre. Zombie and Miranda Bailey have acquired the rights to Steve Stoliar's memoir: Raised Eyebrows: My Years Inside Groucho's House."

http://deadline.com/2015/06/rob-zombie- ... 201446496/

Rob Farr
Godfather

Re: Groucho's Sunset Boulevard

Postby Rob Farr » Thu Jun 18, 2015 1:25 pm

Gwyneth Paltrow as Erin Fleming. The casting writes itself.
Rob Farr
"If it's not comedy, I fall asleep" - Harpo Marx

Gary Johnson
Cugine

Postby Gary Johnson » Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:58 pm

Who's playing 80 yr old Groucho? Anthony Hopkins? Michael Caine?...........Woody Allen??!!!??

Richard M Roberts
Godfather

Postby Richard M Roberts » Fri Jun 19, 2015 12:39 am

Gary Johnson wrote:Who's playing 80 yr old Groucho? Anthony Hopkins? Michael Caine?...........Woody Allen??!!!??

Woody Allen would actually be great, believe it or not, I actually watched EVERYONE SAYS I LOVE YOU just last night and I forgot he does an amazingly spot-on Groucho impression in that. Not surprised about the voice, Woody actually knew Groucho, but the physical resemblance just with moustache' and eyebrows was also eerily similar.

RICHARD M ROBERTS

Gary Johnson
Cugine

Postby Gary Johnson » Fri Jun 19, 2015 2:07 pm

Yes, I agree. I was being flippant trying to list Hollywood octogenarians but the moment I wrote 'Woody' I thought, "Holy moly! He would actually fit the part".
If you want a more recent example of Allen acting on screen, check out FADING GIGOLO. John Turturro wrote and directed the comedy of a middle aged neophyte gigolo trying to raise some quick cash to help out his friend, played by Allen. Allen, in turn, takes on the role of Turturro's manager/pimp. It's a very New York-type of film.

Mike O'Regan

Postby Mike O'Regan » Fri Jun 19, 2015 6:15 pm

Gary Johnson wrote:Yes, I agree. I was being flippant trying to list Hollywood octogenarians but the moment I wrote 'Woody' I thought, "Holy moly! He would actually fit the part".
If you want a more recent example of Allen acting on screen, check out FADING GIGOLO. John Turturro wrote and directed the comedy of a middle aged neophyte gigolo trying to raise some quick cash to help out his friend, played by Allen. Allen, in turn, takes on the role of Turturro's manager/pimp. It's a very New York-type of film.

I saw FADING GIGOLO a few months back. Enjoyed it. Woody plays a slightly seedier Danny Rose.

Ed Watz
Associate

Postby Ed Watz » Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:40 am

I wonder (though I don't wonder for very long) about whatever became of the Zombie-Stoliar "Raised Eyebrows" project.

On a related topic, I caught FADING GIGOLO recently and was delighted to see that much of it was filmed in my old stomping grounds of Williamsburg, Brooklyn. I was born in its predominantly Italian/Irish/Polish neighborhood, six blocks away from the Hascidic Jewish community where FADING GIGOLO takes place. During the so-called "Turbulent Sixties" the Italians, Irish and Poles were chased out of Williamburgh by succeeding, less friendly, immigrants (our humble apartment building was torched), but I'm pleased to report the Satymar Hascidm were too tough to be pushed around. They held their ground and so this is one little turf in Brooklyn that hasn't changed one bit in 75 years.
"Of course he smiled -- just like you and me." -- Harold Goodwin, on Buster Keaton (1976)