more GOLD DIGGERS on B'way?

SOUND MOVIE MAIN is the spot to discuss non-comedy SOUND films. Go figure.
christopher connelly

more GOLD DIGGERS on B'way?

Postby christopher connelly » Tue Apr 05, 2016 3:25 pm

For those of you who are members of the Vitaphone FB group, there's a current thread raising the question of when WB may have destroyed/lost their copies of CONVENTION CITY and GOLD DIGGERS OF BROADWAY.

A quick look at Lantern notes that WB recycled GD footage in January 1942 for the short CALLING ALL GIRLS (Broadway Brevities 7106) and again in July 1946 for the short MUSICAL MEMORIES (Melody Master Band 2609.)

Anyone know if either short survives?

Richard M Roberts
Godfather

Re: more GOLD DIGGERS on B'way?

Postby Richard M Roberts » Tue Apr 05, 2016 3:41 pm

christopher connelly wrote:For those of you who are members of the Vitaphone FB group, there's a current thread raising the question of when WB may have destroyed/lost their copies of CONVENTION CITY and GOLD DIGGERS OF BROADWAY.

A quick look at Lantern notes that WB recycled GD footage in January 1942 for the short CALLING ALL GIRLS (Broadway Brevities 7106) and again in July 1946 for the short MUSICAL MEMORIES (Melody Master Band 2609.)

Most likely they both do, but I think I've seen CALLING ALL GIRLS on TCM, which means it's most likely on tape or disc somewhere around here.

RICHARD M ROBERTS

christopher connelly

Postby christopher connelly » Wed Apr 06, 2016 4:15 pm

Richard M Roberts wrote:
christopher connelly wrote:For those of you who are members of the Vitaphone FB group, there's a current thread raising the question of when WB may have destroyed/lost their copies of CONVENTION CITY and GOLD DIGGERS OF BROADWAY.

Most likely they both do, but I think I've seen CALLING ALL GIRLS on TCM, which means it's most likely on tape or disc somewhere around here.

RICHARD M ROBERTS

Ah well, according to Ron Hutchinson, both survive and contain footage from GOLD DIGGERS of 1933, not GOLD DIGGERS OF BROADWAY.

Richard M Roberts
Godfather

Postby Richard M Roberts » Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:04 pm

christopher connelly wrote:
Ah well, according to Ron Hutchinson, both survive and contain footage from GOLD DIGGERS of 1933, not GOLD DIGGERS OF BROADWAY.

Heck, there were 16mm and 8mm prints of CALLING ALL GIRLS circulating in the old days, it was basically a greatest hits of Busby Berkeley musical numbers, you can also find it as an extra in the Warners DVD of THE BIG STREET (1942) with Lucille Ball and Henry Fonda. I'm not sure that MUSICAL MEMORIES short isn't just a shortened rehash of CALLING ALL GIRLS. I certainly didn't recall any lost footage, what I can tell you, is that if you're expecting lost musical numbers from GOLD DIGGERS OF BROADWAY, don't be holding your breath, I think any GDOB footage if there was any is relegated to mostly chorus girls dressing and undressing, or perhaps single shots of the leads.

RICHARD M ROBERTS

Jim Reid
Cugine

Postby Jim Reid » Fri Apr 08, 2016 9:26 am

I've got a print of Calling All Girls. The first two thirds is mostly behind the scenes footage and no-stars musical numbers. (I'm doing this all by memory) It ends with the Cagney/Keeler Shanghai Lil number from Footlight Parade. Don't remember anything in it that looks like it was from 1929.