Show Girl in Hollywood (1930)

SOUND MOVIE MAIN is the spot to discuss non-comedy SOUND films. Go figure.
Matt Barry
Associate

Show Girl in Hollywood (1930)

Postby Matt Barry » Fri May 24, 2013 7:31 pm

I watched this interesting early talkie from 1930 the other night courtesy of the Warner Archive disc. The film is a treat for anyone interested in early sound film production: the "I've Got My Eye on You" number shows the entire setup of the sound stage during the filming of a musical number including the camera and sound booths (complete with the soundtrack being cut on disc).

Although Alice White is the star of the film, the most interesting performance to me was Blanche Sweet as the former star who's already considered a has-been at the age of 32. She sings one song, "There's a Tear for Every Smile in Hollywood", that is especially moving. Silent comedy veteran Ford Sterling also puts in a good performance as the studio chief, a sympathetic part that also allows him to handle the comic relief. Other silent comedy veterans in bit parts include Billy Bletcher, as the studio employee whose job consists of scraping the names of recently-fired directors and stars from their office doors, and Spec O'Donnell as a studio office boy. Cameo appearances include Al Jolson and Ruby Keeler, Loretta Young, and Noah Beery Sr. and Jr.

It's worth checking out for fans of early talkies and those interested in getting a glimpse into early sound film production.
Matt Barry

Gary Johnson
Cugine

Re: Show Girl in Hollywood (1930)

Postby Gary Johnson » Fri May 24, 2013 7:43 pm

I've never understood Alice White's appeal among film heathens. Watching her clump around on screen is less than beguiling. She could be upstaged on film by a hat rack.

Matt Barry
Associate

Re: Show Girl in Hollywood (1930)

Postby Matt Barry » Fri May 24, 2013 11:11 pm

Gary Johnson wrote:I've never understood Alice White's appeal among film heathens. Watching her clump around on screen is less than beguiling. She could be upstaged on film by a hat rack.

In this film, at least, she seemed to lack the range for the more dramatic moments, such as her star tantrum after the studio chief refuses her demands. Looking over White's filmography, I realize I've seen very few of her films.
Matt Barry