Sid Caesar RIP

Bucking for Benny? Crazy for Carson? Advocating Amos and Andy? Need to know more about Uncle Miltie's legendary... joke file? Tune in here. (Rabbit Ears not included)
Richard M Roberts
Godfather

Sid Caesar RIP

Postby Richard M Roberts » Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:14 pm

Last Year Jonathan Winters, this year Sid Caesar, another great comic gone.

What can one say, what is there to do, but remember, watch, and once again, laugh your ass off:

Thanks Sid,

RICHARD M ROBERTS

Gary Johnson
Cugine

Re: Sid Caesar RIP

Postby Gary Johnson » Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:33 am

Here! Here!!

The Boardroom sketch was always one of my go-to examples of Caesar's art.
Watching him watch everyone else eating while he waited for his sandwich to arrive is priceless.
Caesar never felt the need to upstage his cast members, even though he was the boss and headliner. The parody of This Is Your Life
gives everyone moments to shine, although It's Howard Morris who steals the sketch with his over zealous relative. Then there is the slowly
building sketch of Carl Reiner's politician giving a speech as banquet waiters Sid and Howard go about their business serving the entire hall.
While I never really cared for the German General skit (outside of Morris's method of buttoning up the General), I find Sid's
Prussian General hilarious in the Mata Hari take-off. And then there are the countless pantomimes -- Sid and Imogene as classical
musicians, the entire cast as The Clock, Sid attending a concert recital who's every move causes a loud noise.

And the only reason we have all these memories is because Caesar had the foresight to demand in his contract a copy of each show he made.
That came in handy after NBC put a match to their kinescope originals.

Can you imagine trying to explain Sid Caesar to the uninitiated without being able to show him?