The Monty Python Backlash has begun......

Bucking for Benny? Crazy for Carson? Advocating Amos and Andy? Need to know more about Uncle Miltie's legendary... joke file? Tune in here. (Rabbit Ears not included)
Richard M Roberts
Godfather
Posts: 2202
Joined: Sun May 31, 2009 6:30 pm

The Monty Python Backlash has begun......

Postby Richard M Roberts » Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:46 pm

http://www.newsweek.com/2014/06/27/mont ... ?piano_t=1


Classic current stupid media question of the day, "Were the Pythons ever really that funny?"

Answer: "Yeah you moron, they effin' were.".



RICHARD M ROBERTS

Pasquale Ventura
Posts: 169
Joined: Sat Jun 01, 2013 7:52 pm

Re: The Monty Python Backlash has begun......

Postby Pasquale Ventura » Thu Jun 26, 2014 3:02 pm

This writer writes so negatively towards Python he's obvious not a fan so he feels a need to dig up every cliche' derogatory comment that's been used by others in the past.

His first sentence is all wrong. LIFE OF BRIAN is not a spoof about the life of Jesus Christ. It's about the life of Brian, hey wait....the title of the film is THE LIFE OF BRIAN. Some folks need to watch films before writing about them.

Yes Richard, this writer is a complete moron as you state. It's the tired worn out speculation because a comedian is older he not as funny as he was when younger.

I feel fortunate to have seen Monty Python live, yes little ol' me was one of those enthusiastic fans in the crowd of MONTY PYTHON LIVE AT THE HOLLYWOOD BOWL back in 1980, a night of laughter I shall always remember. They are just as funny live on stage as in their TV show and movies. Being up front close to the stage in a box seat was great! But you had to watch out, during the Bruce's sketch they purposely shook their cans of Australian beer and opened them toward the audience spraying them good. Lots of fun.

Pasquale Ventura

Joe Migliore
Cugine
Posts: 190
Joined: Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:57 pm

Re: The Monty Python Backlash has begun......

Postby Joe Migliore » Thu Jun 26, 2014 4:36 pm

Richard M Roberts wrote:
Classic current stupid media question of the day, "Were the Pythons ever really that funny?"

Answer: "Yeah you moron, they effin' were.".




This provides a window into how Fox News has affected journalism in general: Any assertion can be legitimized through the simple addition of a question mark at the end of it. What they're really saying is: "Were the Pythons ever really that funny? We have no earthly idea what funny is, and don't care, but we have a duty to teach the controversy we just invented." They had to go all the way to Peter Hitchens (not nearly quotable as his late brother Christopher) for a negative comment. Well they certainly weren't going to get that from any comedian. Python had very much the same impact that The Beatles had on music, echoes that are still being felt today. Monty Python's Final Circus will doubtless be a huge success, and a fitting end to one of the most brilliant acts in comedy history. But I'll wait for the film, and continue my policy of not consulting Newsweek before watching anything.

Richard M Roberts
Godfather
Posts: 2202
Joined: Sun May 31, 2009 6:30 pm

Re: The Monty Python Backlash has begun......

Postby Richard M Roberts » Thu Jun 26, 2014 6:19 pm

Pasquale Ventura wrote:This writer writes so negatively towards Python he's obvious not a fan so he feels a need to dig up every cliche' derogatory comment that's been used by others in the past.

His first sentence is all wrong. LIFE OF BRIAN is not a spoof about the life of Jesus Christ. It's about the life of Brian, hey wait....the title of the film is THE LIFE OF BRIAN. Some folks need to watch films before writing about them.

Yes Richard, this writer is a complete moron as you state. It's the tired worn out speculation because a comedian is older he not as funny as he was when younger.

I feel fortunate to have seen Monty Python live, yes little ol' me was one of those enthusiastic fans in the crowd of MONTY PYTHON LIVE AT THE HOLLYWOOD BOWL back in 1980, a night of laughter I shall always remember. They are just as funny live on stage as in their TV show and movies. Being up front close to the stage in a box seat was great! But you had to watch out, during the Bruce's sketch they purposely shook their cans of Australian beer and opened them toward the audience spraying them good. Lots of fun.

Pasquale Ventura



You had better seats than we had.

The Pythons are/were/always will be brilliant, and it was just brilliant silliness. not "subversive" whatever that means, nor "anti-establishment", these were Oxbridge graduates after all, just plain, wonderful, well-planned silliness, which is a breath of fresh air as opposed to all the unplanned silliness we see on the daily news.

I love it when one of the generally humorless that make up so much of our media and internet thought today dismisses some comedy they don’t get as just being “silly”, as if that is a minus of some sort. Silliness is one of the hardest things to pull off in comedy, reckless abandon playing to an audience not necessarily either in the same reckless or abandoned state of mind. The Pythons did it in every episode of their Television show, and made some deeper points in their movies about the silliness of things like organized religion, politics, and the meaning of life and that feeling of silliness has travelled well down through several generations. If they had never done anything but the fish-slapping dance, they would still remain the experts of their silly field.


RICHARD M ROBERTS

Richard M Roberts
Godfather
Posts: 2202
Joined: Sun May 31, 2009 6:30 pm

Re: The Monty Python Backlash has begun......

Postby Richard M Roberts » Thu Jun 26, 2014 6:31 pm

Joe Migliore wrote:This provides a window into how Fox News has affected journalism in general: Any assertion can be legitimized through the simple addition of a question mark at the end of it. What they're really saying is: "Were the Pythons ever really that funny? We have no earthly idea what funny is, and don't care, but we have a duty to teach the controversy we just invented." They had to go all the way to Peter Hitchens (not nearly quotable as his late brother Christopher) for a negative comment. Well they certainly weren't going to get that from any comedian. Python had very much the same impact that The Beatles had on music, echoes that are still being felt today. Monty Python's Final Circus will doubtless be a huge success, and a fitting end to one of the most brilliant acts in comedy history. But I'll wait for the film, and continue my policy of not consulting Newsweek before watching anything.



The only legitimate question mark usable in the entire Fox organization is the one placed after the word ”News” (Fox NEWS?).

I doubt the MONTY PYTHON’S FINAL CIRCUS will top everything the Pythons have ever done, they are in their 70’s afterall and have been the absolute masters of continuing to repackage their old material and make millions off of it without having to really do anything new, but again, even they admit this is a “we need the money” venture. The best quote in the article was Idles, it is called “show BUSINESS’ after all, why else would they or should they be doing it? They all performed plenty of times for their various charities, the Amnesty International Shows immediately spring to mind, and whatever the reason, fine, at least we get to see them for the most part all together again before they and we all head off to the great beyond. It won’t be a sloppy show, they have always gave good value even in their repackagings (the closest we really got to any new Python material these last few decades was the extras they filmed for the DVD releases of their films), and it should be a feelgood reunion. I look forward to it as well.


RICHARD M ROBERTS

Gary Johnson
Cugine
Posts: 656
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:15 am
Location: Sonoma, CA
Contact:

Re: The Monty Python Backlash has begun......

Postby Gary Johnson » Sat Jun 28, 2014 12:45 am

The Pythons have always been great self-promoters so you can all slam NEWSWEEK all you want but right now they are the teams greatest allies.

They have gotten all of you to talk up the reunion show.

Richard M Roberts
Godfather
Posts: 2202
Joined: Sun May 31, 2009 6:30 pm

Re: The Monty Python Backlash has begun......

Postby Richard M Roberts » Sat Jun 28, 2014 4:28 am

Gary Johnson wrote:The Pythons have always been great self-promoters so you can all slam NEWSWEEK all you want but right now they are the teams greatest allies.

They have gotten all of you to talk up the reunion show.



If the tickets for their first shows sold out in 43 seconds, the Pythons need neither us nor Newsweek to talk up their reunion show.


RICHARD M ROBERTS

Richard M Roberts
Godfather
Posts: 2202
Joined: Sun May 31, 2009 6:30 pm

Re: The Monty Python Backlash has begun......

Postby Richard M Roberts » Sat Jul 05, 2014 9:32 am

Here's actually a pretty good backlash article about the Pythons:


http://thequietus.com/articles/15649-monty-python


RICHARD M ROBERTS

Mike O'Regan
Posts: 66
Joined: Thu Sep 26, 2013 4:04 pm

Re: The Monty Python Backlash has begun......

Postby Mike O'Regan » Mon Jul 07, 2014 5:38 pm

Richard M Roberts wrote:http://www.newsweek.com/2014/06/27/monty-python-has-last-laugh-farewell-reunion-255516.html?piano_t=1


Classic current stupid media question of the day, "Were the Pythons ever really that funny?"

Answer: "Yeah you moron, they effin' were.".



RICHARD M ROBERTS


I think you'll find the correct answer here is, "No, they were feckin' not...EVER".

Richard M Roberts
Godfather
Posts: 2202
Joined: Sun May 31, 2009 6:30 pm

Re: The Monty Python Backlash has begun......

Postby Richard M Roberts » Mon Jul 07, 2014 5:45 pm

Mike O'Regan wrote:
Richard M Roberts wrote:http://www.newsweek.com/2014/06/27/monty-python-has-last-laugh-farewell-reunion-255516.html?piano_t=1


Classic current stupid media question of the day, "Were the Pythons ever really that funny?"

Answer: "Yeah you moron, they effin' were.".



RICHARD M ROBERTS


I think you'll find the correct answer here is, "No, they were feckin' not...EVER".



Yeah, just like Buster Keaton and all those other comedians you don't think are funny either.


RICHARD M ROBERTS


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests