The Monty Python Backlash has begun......

Bucking for Benny? Crazy for Carson? Advocating Amos and Andy? Need to know more about Uncle Miltie's legendary... joke file? Tune in here. (Rabbit Ears not included)
Gary Johnson
Cugine

Re: The Monty Python Backlash has begun......

Postby Gary Johnson » Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:46 am

It may help seeing it professionally filmed, rather than by some nimrod's cellphone where we get his constant giggling in the background.

But you've got to admit it was kind of funny having the DEAD PARROT skit quickly segue into the THE CHEESE SHOP.
It's like those L&H foreign versions where L&H MURDER CASE suddenly dissolves into BERTH MARKS.

Richard M Roberts
Godfather

Postby Richard M Roberts » Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:49 am

Gary Johnson wrote:It may help seeing it professionally filmed, rather than by some nimrod's cellphone where we get his constant giggling in the background.

But you've got to admit it was kind of funny having the DEAD PARROT skit quickly segue into the THE CHEESE SHOP.
It's like those L&H foreign versions where L&H MURDER CASE suddenly dissolves into BERTH MARKS.

What I saw were two rich and old comedians blow through one classic routine as they seque and completely throw away another that's not even in context to an audience too large to even be able to time laughs to in the first place. Palin even breaks up in the same place he always breaks up in the Parrot sketch when he and Cleese performed it live, the ad-libs aren't even fresh.

Buster Keaton worked harder to get laughs in BEACH BLANKET BINGO.

I'm glad the geezers got their Two million pounds apiece, Cleese and Jones can pay off their respective divorces for the foreseeable future, but these shows are never going to be their proudest moment, nowhere near, not even close.

RICHARD M ROBERTS

Gary Johnson
Cugine

Postby Gary Johnson » Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:26 am

I thought you were the one defending them against the 'Python Backlash'
(pssst....which is the name of this thread).

I wasn't originally that enthused over this enterprise, but we've seem to have switched viewpoints.
I'm confused.

Joe Migliore
Cugine

Postby Joe Migliore » Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:37 am

C'mon Gary: No matter how weak their swan song may have been, "Were the Pythons ever funny?" is still a bloody stupid question.

Gary Johnson
Cugine

Postby Gary Johnson » Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:06 am

I didn't realize that was the question. I thought it was, can 70 yr old comedians recapture their salad days?

So you caught the show live on Sunday, Joe?

Joe Migliore
Cugine

Postby Joe Migliore » Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:20 pm

Gary Johnson wrote:
So you caught the show live on Sunday, Joe?

Alas, no; I will wait for a DVD. If the big finale left a bad taste in anyone's mouth, John Cleese's "Alimony Tour" might be a better option. After a few atypical divorce jokes, it becomes a more personal recollection of the Python years. (The DVD is region 2.)

Pasquale Ventura

Postby Pasquale Ventura » Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:18 pm

In the many books and interviews I have read about the Pythons they usually say it was Terry Jones who was always at odds with John Cleese over comedy material and difference of comic opinion, not Eric Idle.

Anyway, I didn't see the live broadcast or streams....totally forgot about it. Oh well, time to go to the undertakers.....

Pasquale

Gary Johnson
Cugine

Postby Gary Johnson » Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:29 am

There is a nice BBC documentary on YouTube, MONTY PYTHON: AND NOW FOR SOMETHING COMPLETELY SIMILAR. A reporter follows around the remaining members of Python, from the time they announce the reunion to the opening night show. But it is really about all of the divergent projects that they individually keep themselves busy with. And these septuagenarians (Thank God for spell-check) still keep quite busy.

And that program has directed me to many of Terry Jone's history programs that he has worked on the past decade. Right now I'm watching TERRY JONE'S MEDIEVAL TIMES. Eight half hour episodes that blow holes in our accepted knowledge of the Dark Ages. Very informative and quite entertaining. Which is how I like my telly.

Jim Roots

Postby Jim Roots » Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:44 am

His name is Terry Jones, not Terry Jone, therefore you must be referring to Terry Jones' Medieval Times. Is it available on DVD in our region? I love that sort of history doc.

Jim Roots
(not Jim Root's)
When you're surrounded by vultures, playing dead is not a good strategy.

Gary Johnson
Cugine

Postby Gary Johnson » Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:55 am

(wow.....now it looks like I need to download apostrophe spell-check for my laptop).