Orson Welles plays Falstaff on THE DEAN MARTIN SHOW (1967)

Bucking for Benny? Crazy for Carson? Advocating Amos and Andy? Need to know more about Uncle Miltie's legendary... joke file? Tune in here. (Rabbit Ears not included)
Richard M Roberts
Godfather

Orson Welles plays Falstaff on THE DEAN MARTIN SHOW (1967)

Postby Richard M Roberts » Sat Jul 12, 2014 4:18 pm

Thinking back on it now, I just may have been introduced to Orson Welles by his appearances on THE DEAN MARTIN SHOW. He made a number of them, and they were frequently nice classy bits like this one, imagine anyone performing Shakespeare on a Variety show, even if those still existed, on Network Television today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJ6v7GHYDbM

RICHARD M ROBERTS

Gary Johnson
Cugine

Re: Orson Welles plays Falstaff on THE DEAN MARTIN SHOW (196

Postby Gary Johnson » Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:25 am

I would hazard a guess that Orson was among Deans annual twice-yearly guests for the duration of the shows run. And even afterwords. Many of those same guests ended up on Dean's silly Roasts in the '70's -- including Welles.

Richard M Roberts
Godfather

Postby Richard M Roberts » Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:15 am

Gary Johnson wrote:I would hazard a guess that Orson was among Deans annual twice-yearly guests for the duration of the shows run. And even afterwords. Many of those same guests ended up on Dean's silly Roasts in the '70's -- including Welles.

Welles had met Greg Garrison back in the forties when Garrison was a teenager and had worked backstage on AROUND THE WORLD IN 80 DAYS, then Garrison started booking Welles on THE DEAN MARTIN SHOW even before Welles had relocated back to the United States. Welles appeared frequently on THE DEAN MARTIN SHOW doing both serious bits like the Falstaff speech, but also comedy sketches with Martin and others. It really was sort of the way Welles was re-introduced to American Audiences after his self-imposed (for the most part) European exile in the 50's and 60's, even before he started appearing on talk shows like Carson, Cavett, and Merv.

When Welles relocated back to the US in the 70's, commuting between Las Vegas and Los Angeles, the Dean Martin Roasts were quick and easy money for Welles. They were shot in Vegas, done mostly in one night, and he could do his bit, get a check and get out of there.

RICHARD M ROBERTS

Gary Johnson
Cugine

Postby Gary Johnson » Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:43 am

You right. I didn't think of the timeline before but Welles was holed up in Europe til about the mid-Sixties, hiding from creditors, drinking good wine and squirreling away his treasures in various French chateau's to be discovered later.....like his print of TOO MUCH JOHNSON.

(And remember folks.....you can never have too much Johnson)

Richard M Roberts
Godfather

Postby Richard M Roberts » Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:04 pm

Gary Johnson wrote:You right. I didn't think of the timeline before but Welles was holed up in Europe til about the mid-Sixties, hiding from creditors, drinking good wine and squirreling away his treasures in various French chateau's to be discovered later.....like his print of TOO MUCH JOHNSON.

And doing a bit more than that, like making some of his best later films like CHIMES AT MIDNIGHT and THE IMMORTAL STORY, doing a bunch of acting roles in other folks films, he was actually living in Spain a lot of the sixties.

RICHARD M ROBERTS