Bill Cosby On Prejudice

Bucking for Benny? Crazy for Carson? Advocating Amos and Andy? Need to know more about Uncle Miltie's legendary... joke file? Tune in here. (Rabbit Ears not included)
Joe Migliore
Cugine

Bill Cosby On Prejudice

Postby Joe Migliore » Sat Nov 08, 2014 5:04 pm

Since it's broadcast, has this ever gotten an official DVD release? I know it's on YouTube, but I have have a friend who's looking for this one.

Rob Farr
Godfather

Re: Bill Cosby On Prejudice

Postby Rob Farr » Sat Nov 08, 2014 6:26 pm

An earlier Cosby-narrated CBS News special called "Black History: Lost, Stolen, or Strayed?" also deserves a DVD or streaming release. A good chunk of it is about racism in popular culture using clips from Birth of a Nation and Stepin Fetchit's bits in Judge Priest. My 16mm print was probably one of thousands that were distributed to high school film libraries.
Rob Farr
"If it's not comedy, I fall asleep" - Harpo Marx

Gary Johnson
Cugine

Postby Gary Johnson » Mon Nov 10, 2014 10:48 am

I did watch this Black History program over the weekend. Unlike many who posted comments on YouTube, I do not remember seeing this in school but I could understand if it was included in a school curriculum -- I found it quite powerful. Cosby gets his points across very forcibly. The credits read that it was written by a Mr. Andrew Rooney. I had to look up his bio to make sure it was the one and the same. A lot of Rooney's early television work was of a decidedly more serious fashion.....before 60 Minutes turned him into a modern day Robert Benchley.

And a word of warning; if you have a weak stomach I suggest you forego the comments page on this program since the White Supremacists are out in force. A lot of heinous written bile....

Rob Farr
Godfather

Postby Rob Farr » Mon Nov 10, 2014 6:43 pm

Not only is it the same Andy Rooney, but he won an Emmy for his work on this show. I think a more apt comparison than Benchley to describe Rooney's late work might be to Eddie Lawrence, the Old Philosopher: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKkazr8M-n4
Rob Farr
"If it's not comedy, I fall asleep" - Harpo Marx

Richard M Roberts
Godfather

Postby Richard M Roberts » Mon Nov 10, 2014 9:14 pm

Back on topic, perhaps we should link the actual show for anyone who wants to see it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6vMTZZZMqQ

Why do I get the feeling most folk wouldn't get the point of this show today and would just get offended and think it un-PC?

RICHARD M ROBERTS ( I hate bigots and won't serve one when they come in my restaurant)