The Three Stooges on THE STEVE ALLEN SHOW (1959)

Bucking for Benny? Crazy for Carson? Advocating Amos and Andy? Need to know more about Uncle Miltie's legendary... joke file? Tune in here. (Rabbit Ears not included)
Richard M Roberts
Godfather

The Three Stooges on THE STEVE ALLEN SHOW (1959)

Postby Richard M Roberts » Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:35 pm

In case you've never seen it, here is the appearance of The Three Stooges with new Stooge Joe DeRita on THE STEVE ALLEN SHOW, broadcast February 22, 1959 on NBC, proof that DeRita could be darn funny before an audience. This was one of the kickoff's of the revived Stooge act that kept them going for more than another decade:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cS2mKha5aQs

RICHARD M ROBERTS

Joe Migliore
Cugine

Re: The Three Stooges on THE STEVE ALLEN SHOW (1959)

Postby Joe Migliore » Thu Jan 14, 2016 5:00 am

The stunt man bit is the best; Larry is great in that toupee as "Tab".

Richard M Roberts
Godfather

Postby Richard M Roberts » Thu Jan 14, 2016 5:51 pm

Joe Migliore wrote:The stunt man bit is the best; Larry is great in that toupee as "Tab".

Agreed, and Joe DeRita's reactions when they call "stand-in" are priceless, and beautifully timed.

RICHARD M ROBERTS

Gary Johnson
Cugine

Postby Gary Johnson » Sat Jan 16, 2016 2:23 pm

The Stuntman routine is like a warhorse Abbott & Costello bit -- obvious surefire material that plays itself out by the numbers and rarely has any surprises in it. So the use of Pedro the extra was a nice addition. Such an eccentric character seemed to walk out of a Jack Benny sketch.
I was more enamored with their opening appearance, moving about the stage in lockstep, harmonizing and slapping. Moe seemed younger for some reason -- more energy than they showed in their last years at Columbia. Must be the 1959 TV cameras.

Has everyone seen the Stooges appearances on Allen's 1965 color program that saluted the history of comedy. Tim Conway appears at a dias to give a talk on humor when it explodes into a re enactment of Hellzapoppin' -- a series of blackout gags involving the Stooges and a large cast of extras. Lots of energy there.

Richard M Roberts
Godfather

Postby Richard M Roberts » Sun Jan 17, 2016 1:02 am

Gary Johnson wrote:The Stuntman routine is like a warhorse Abbott & Costello bit -- obvious surefire material that plays itself out by the numbers and rarely has any surprises in it. So the use of Pedro the extra was a nice addition. Such an eccentric character seemed to walk out of a Jack Benny sketch.
I was more enamored with their opening appearance, moving about the stage in lockstep, harmonizing and slapping. Moe seemed younger for some reason -- more energy than they showed in their last years at Columbia. Must be the 1959 TV cameras.

Has everyone seen the Stooges appearances on Allen's 1965 color program that saluted the history of comedy. Tim Conway appears at a dias to give a talk on humor when it explodes into a re enactment of Hellzapoppin' -- a series of blackout gags involving the Stooges and a large cast of extras. Lots of energy there.

I think you mean this appearance on a Danny Thomas tribute to Comedy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2FwxxSYOus

not Steve Allen. We put this up several years ago here, but I think that version has expired.

I think part of Moe's enthusiasm on the Steve Allen Show is working before the audience, but I'm sure he's also both happy that the Stooges were performing again, thanks to DeRita, and probably a bit nervous as to whether the act was going to hit or not. I'm sure Moe had a less than happy 1958-early 59 when there was no more third stooge and he was acting seeking one when Joe Besser said he did not want to tour and left the act. Fortunately De Rita kept them working for another and more financially successful decade, but I'm sure it was an anxious time breaking him in and going out with him at first.

RICHARD M ROBERTS