The Sid Caesar Imogene Coca Carl Reiner Howard Morris Reunio

Bucking for Benny? Crazy for Carson? Advocating Amos and Andy? Need to know more about Uncle Miltie's legendary... joke file? Tune in here. (Rabbit Ears not included)
Richard M Roberts
Godfather

The Sid Caesar Imogene Coca Carl Reiner Howard Morris Reunio

Postby Richard M Roberts » Thu May 26, 2016 11:56 am

Broadcast on CBS, April 4, 1967, this Emmy Award-winning special brought the old gang together for the first time since YOUR SHOW OF SHOWS:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ScqZW2NQwPY

RICHARD M ROBERTS

Gary Johnson
Cugine

Re: The Sid Caesar Imogene Coca Carl Reiner Howard Morris Re

Postby Gary Johnson » Fri May 27, 2016 6:07 pm

This was better than I expected. I could see Carol Burnett playing the lead in the WHO'S AFRAID OF VIRGINIA WOOLF parody.
It's too bad Caesar didn't stick to yearly TV specials like this rather than expending so much energy into another failed series.

Richard M Roberts
Godfather

Postby Richard M Roberts » Sat May 28, 2016 5:19 am

Gary Johnson wrote:This was better than I expected. I could see Carol Burnett playing the lead in the WHO'S AFRAID OF VIRGINIA WOOLF parody.
It's too bad Caesar didn't stick to yearly TV specials like this rather than expending so much energy into another failed series.

The whole thing feels like a Carol Burnett show (it's a CBS Television City production, just like the Burnett show, so go figure) , but the writing and the performances were great.

Caesar was also making regular appearances on THE HOLLYWOOD PALACE at the time, basically re-doing the situation comedy sketches he did on CAESARS HOUR with Joyce Jameson playing his wife. I believe there is also a HOLLYWOOD PALACE co-hosted by Caesar and Coca. These and other guest appearances he was making on variety shows in the late 60's/early 70's were where I was really introduced to him. I remember well an appearance on THE FLIP WILSON SHOW where Caesar did his slot machine routine and brought down the house.

RICHARD M ROBERTS

Gary Johnson
Cugine

Postby Gary Johnson » Sat May 28, 2016 4:45 pm

Your link, Richard, lead me to an evening of re-visiting Caesars great work from his 50's programs. And yes, I did watch the HOLLYWOOD PALACE episodes where they hosted together. The pair open the program with a reworking of the American tourists in France skit, only this time they run into each other on a protest picket line in America ("....it's a small world!"). For most of the shows running time they aren't allowed to shine at all -- just introduce the acts. But then Coca performs a very funny striptease in a large, bulky overcoat and Sid shines in the closing bullfighter skit.

BTW, it looks like every episode of the HP has been downloaded onto UTube.