Tom Snyder Interviews Alfred Hitchcock

Bucking for Benny? Crazy for Carson? Advocating Amos and Andy? Need to know more about Uncle Miltie's legendary... joke file? Tune in here. (Rabbit Ears not included)
Richard M Roberts
Godfather

Tom Snyder Interviews Alfred Hitchcock

Postby Richard M Roberts » Wed May 29, 2013 1:32 am

I miss Tom Snyder. In fact, I miss good late night talk shows in general. Real and interesting conversations between interesting people. Dick Cavett, David Susskind, Irv Kupcinet, heck even Johnny Carson. All Gone.

Here's Alfred Hitchcocks appearance on the old TOMORROW SHOW, which was my midnight viewing all through the late 70's:

RICHARD M ROBERTS

Jim Reid
Cugine

Re: Tom Snyder Interviews Alfred Hitchcock

Postby Jim Reid » Wed May 29, 2013 2:19 am

Loved the Tom Snyder show. The one with David Niven was a classic!

Gary Johnson
Cugine

Postby Gary Johnson » Wed May 29, 2013 12:25 pm

Someone remind me; when Letterman's show began airing after Carson's did that bump Snyder to the wee hours or had he already been given the ax by NBC?

Richard M Roberts
Godfather

Postby Richard M Roberts » Wed May 29, 2013 12:52 pm

Gary Johnson wrote:Someone remind me; when Letterman's show began airing after Carson's did that bump Snyder to the wee hours or had he already been given the ax by NBC?

Letterman gave him the bump, but ratings had been dropping thanks to TOMORROW's new producer Roger Ayles retooling the show into a 90 minute live mess with Rona Barrett reporting from Hollywood. One of Ayles early successes in the destruction of TV's intelligence.

However, Letterman felt so bad about replacing Snyder that he produced Snyder's LATE LATE SHOW that followed his show on CBS through the 90's, giving us a few more years of Tom Snyder's chat.

I used to run into Tom Snyder at Farmers Market from time to time when he was working next door at Television City, and he was always friendly and willing to chat. I saw him last at Musso and Franks a few years before his death. He went past my table and I stopped him to say, "Hey Tom, we miss you on the tube!", and he was very cordial and thanked me for the kind words. He was a class act.

RICHARD M ROBERTS