Can anyone identify this please?

101 is designed for beginners with questions about the site, SCM, or early comedy. Use this forum without fear of taunting from advanced users or the local curmudgeons.
RogerCarpenter

Can anyone identify this please?

Postby RogerCarpenter » Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:48 am

Hi folks,

Can anyone throw any light on this shot please. The clothes date it pretty clearly to around 1926, but I can't put names to any of the three. It's been suggested that Anita Garvin is on the right, but I'm not convinced it's her at all, even though this girl seems to have suffered a similar fate to Anita's own in Raggedy Rose.
Attachments
104.jpg
104.jpg (48.68 KiB) Viewed 29886 times

Richard M Roberts
Godfather

Re: Can anyone identify this please?

Postby Richard M Roberts » Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:12 am

Hello Roger and Welcome to the Mafia! It's definitely not Anita Garvin, but she looks familiar, and I think the guy in the glasses may be Jimmy Aubrey.

Where did the still come from? Is this the complete picture or has it been cropped?

RICHARD M ROBERTS

RogerCarpenter

Postby RogerCarpenter » Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:56 am

Many thanks for that fast input Richard,

Alas, there's no way to trace the source of this picture. It's the odd one out in a small collection of otherwise familiar vintage comedy images (L&H and the like) which a colleague of mine saved from a deceased friend's computer. No title for it, just his own numbering of 104. It's a shame that somebody cropped it, not very thoughtfully - you wonder if whoever's standing at the back might have been the key to the mystery if the head had been visible.

I would never have thought of Jimmy Aubrey as the guy in glasses. You never know, perhaps the solution will reveal itself when Vol.3 of Smileage Guaranteed delves into the Weiss Brothers - I'm sure you'll be including them......

Steve Massa
Capo

Postby Steve Massa » Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:29 pm

It also looks like it might be Ben Hall from one of the "Harold Highbrow" shorts he did for Universal in the late 1920s.

Richard M Roberts
Godfather

Postby Richard M Roberts » Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:55 pm

Steve Massa wrote:It also looks like it might be Ben Hall from one of the "Harold Highbrow" shorts he did for Universal in the late 1920s.

Yeah, could be. I thought about both Ben Hall and Churchill Ross from The Collegians series, but the guy in the picture looks older, the hairline is higher and the head looks bigger than Halls, and the nose doesn't look quite right. but these are things easily distorted in an action shot.

The glasses are definitely similar.

RICHARD M ROBERTS

RogerCarpenter

Postby RogerCarpenter » Mon Apr 14, 2014 5:32 am

Thanks for the extra suggestions, guys.

Funnily enough, from what little I've seen of the series it had flashed through my mind that there was a certain Collegians look about the situation, but then I guess such party mishaps were a staple of mid-20s comedy anyway. It had also struck me that the guy with glasses might just be wearing a wig, not that that helps me at all.