Book ID requested

101 is designed for beginners with questions about the site, SCM, or early comedy. Use this forum without fear of taunting from advanced users or the local curmudgeons.
Tommie Hicks
Capo

Book ID requested

Postby Tommie Hicks » Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:42 am

I would like to know the title and author of a silent comedy book that appeared in the 70's. I haven't seen it since.

The book was a 5X7 hardback, not too thick. It had chapters of various silent comedians with a full page photo of each. I remember the photos of Max Linder "shushing", Mabel Normand in some exotic costume with a man and a woman looking at her, Laurel biting Fin's ear from BIG BUSINESS (I seem to remember it was a two page photo), and Bert Williams sitting at a table looking forlorn. At least that's the way I remember it.

Thanks in advance.

Tommie Hicks
Capo

Re: Book ID requested

Postby Tommie Hicks » Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:47 pm

Thanks to Jim Roots who Id'd the book for me as YESTERDAY'S CLOWNS by Frank Manchel.

Richard M Roberts
Godfather

Postby Richard M Roberts » Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:07 pm

Frank Manchel, now there's a name I haven't thought of in years, I remember his HORRORS OF THE SCREEN book, but I can't say this one is ringing any bells. Was it any good?

RICHARD M ROBERTS

Tommie Hicks
Capo

Postby Tommie Hicks » Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:33 pm

I have just ordered a copy off ebay and I'll report back. I was Laurel and Hardy centrist then, the only silent comedies I cared about were L&H. A couple of years later thanks Kerr's book THE SILENT CLOWNS, pizza parlors, and The Flick theater in Denver when I obtained my driver's license changed all that.