closest thing to vari-speed DVD playback

101 is designed for beginners with questions about the site, SCM, or early comedy. Use this forum without fear of taunting from advanced users or the local curmudgeons.
Ben Model
Capo

closest thing to vari-speed DVD playback

Postby Ben Model » Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:05 am

I'd posted something about this in the CC Keystone thread, but thought I'd mention this in its own thread here to make it easier to find.

The VLC player is a free download and runs on Mac and Windows. It has an option to adjust playback speeds that's a little more fine-tuned than a DVD player: 0.5x, 0.67x, 1.0x, 1.5x, etc etc. It is also possible to set the increments more finely at 10% intervals, but you gotta know where to set it. The instructions (which I just found on the VLC forum) are:
1. Go to VLC, then to Preferences, click on "Hotkeys" and then scroll down til you get to "Faster(fine)" and "Slower(fine)"
2. Select "Faster(fine)" and click on the "Change" button
3. Enter the hotkey that you want and press OK
4. The one I used which worked was "Cntrl+Cmd+=" (control w/ apple key w/ equal sign) as well as "cntrl + cmd + -" (contrl w/ apple key w/ minus sign)
5. Click save
6. RESTART VLC

Someone else on the forum posted this tidbit about running PAL discs at the proper speed:
Adjusting playback speed with precision is just a matter of going to the Preferences (selecting "all"), finding "Playback speed" in the first menu "Inputs / Codeks" and setting it to 0,96, save, and then start the movie.
***Make sure that "Enable time streching audio" (in the Audio menu) is not ticked.***

Ben