Walter Catlett

101 is designed for beginners with questions about the site, SCM, or early comedy. Use this forum without fear of taunting from advanced users or the local curmudgeons.
Ed Watz
Associate

Re: Walter Catlett

Postby Ed Watz » Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:10 am

Eric Stott wrote:Some time during an English tour (20's or earlier) Catlett stepped into the HMV studio and cut a record. I've seen a copy but have never heard it - and can't recall what it was!

Eric, I believe that Walter Catlett's HMV recording was released in 1917, offhand I don't recall the title, either. I used to own one of Brian Rust's discography books and its details are included there. Rather brave of Catlett to risk an Atlantic crossing during wartime for a theatrical engagement!
"Of course he smiled -- just like you and me." -- Harold Goodwin, on Buster Keaton (1976)

Mike Paradise

Postby Mike Paradise » Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:23 pm

Ed, Frank Cullen cited you as source information 2 or 3 times in the section on Bob Woolsey in his book. It's the reason I quoted it in my response to Eric; I thought you might have something to do with the information being reliable.

Ed Watz
Associate

Postby Ed Watz » Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:25 am

Mike Paradise wrote:Ed, Frank Cullen cited you as source information 2 or 3 times in the section on Bob Woolsey in his book. It's the reason I quoted it in my response to Eric; I thought you might have something to do with the information being reliable.

Thanks Mike, I'm glad to hear this. I was able to read several Woolsey passages from Mr. Cullen's book online and they were appropriated almost verbatim from my book. But at least he credited the source. (I wasn't about to spend $389 for a copy of Cullen's book - Amazon's asking price.)
"Of course he smiled -- just like you and me." -- Harold Goodwin, on Buster Keaton (1976)