C C Burr and east coast production - 1923 edition

101 is designed for beginners with questions about the site, SCM, or early comedy. Use this forum without fear of taunting from advanced users or the local curmudgeons.
christopher connelly

C C Burr and east coast production - 1923 edition

Postby christopher connelly » Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:54 am

First, probably, a word of introduction: I've posted all over the interwebs for the better part of 20 years as "Harlett O'Dowd" - but as I've since met most of you, I might as well start posting under my own name.

And for those who have met me, you probably know all too well that for over 20 years, I've been working on a biography of torch singer Helen Morgan.

One of the little rabbit holes I have fallen down involves east coast production. Early in her career, Morgan worked as a kind of flapper Toby Wing, showing up as a featured extra (sometimes billed, usually not) in multiple east coast films in production between mid-February and mid-September 1923.

I've identified her in the Agnes Ayres dramedy THE HEART RAIDER and the silent Fox version of SIX CYLINDER LOVE (lost, but I have a still) and I'm 95% sure I've spotted her in the Richard Barthelmess mess THE FIGHTING BLADE. She also claimed to have worked with Nita Naldi - so I assume that means she was involved in LAWFUL LARCENY (lots of show girls were.) Part of me wonders if she's not one of Swanson's swinging sisters in ZAZA.

That's probably it for Morgan, but I'd still like to compile as complete a list as possible of east coast productions during this time frame. I've got a good handle on Paramount features and I think I have Cosmopolitan sewed up as well, but I'm adrift on the rest. Especially shorts.

I've stumbled across a notice that C C Burr was in production in the east at this time. I know *nothing* about him. Might someone here offer me a primer and detail what Burr productions would fall within this Feb-Sept 1923 timeframe? are any of these films extant?

Finally, can anyone point me to the Aubrey/Hardy 1920 short PARASIDE ALLEY? The cast of this 1920 short was augmented by the chorus of Bronco Billy Anderson's stage revue FRIVOLITIES OF 1920, then playing L.A. Morgan was in the company - at least when the show closed in Kansas City in December 1920.

Thanks in advance.

Richard M Roberts
Godfather

Re: C C Burr and east coast production - 1923 edition

Postby Richard M Roberts » Sun Sep 08, 2013 5:51 pm

christopher connelly wrote:I've stumbled across a notice that C C Burr was in production in the east at this time. I know *nothing* about him. Might someone here offer me a primer and detail what Burr productions would fall within this Feb-Sept 1923 timeframe? are any of these films extant?

C. C. Burr was producing Johnny Hines features, notably LUCK, which was released in 1923, and short comedies starring Raymond Mckee that were released through W. W. Hodskinson (I have one of these, FOUR ORPHANS, co-starring Charlie Murray) as well as some other novelty shorts. There was at least two other 1923 features, THREE O' CLOCK IN THE MORNING, starring Constance Binney and YOU ARE GUILTY starring James Kirkwood that might fit your bill. Burr's production company was also known as Mastodon Films.

Finally, can anyone point me to the Aubrey/Hardy 1920 short PARASIDE ALLEY? The cast of this 1920 short was augmented by the chorus of Bronco Billy Anderson's stage revue FRIVOLITIES OF 1920, then playing L.A. Morgan was in the company - at least when the show closed in Kansas City in December 1920.

No Aubrey/Hardy Vitagraph short by that title was released, but Paradise Alley was what Vitagraph called their backlot tenement/slum set.

Welcome to the group BTW.

RICHARD M ROBERTS

Thanks in advance.[/quote]

Gary Johnson
Cugine

Postby Gary Johnson » Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:12 pm

And I always thought that Harlett O Dowd was married to Lynda Day George.

Ed Watz
Associate

Postby Ed Watz » Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:36 am

C.C. Burr had a tiny film studio in the Glendale neighborhood of Queens, New York, when I believe he was producing the "Torchy" series with Johnny Hines prior to his features with Hines. Ed Finney told me that he worked for Burr during that time. I lived in Glendale, NY for over 20 years and tracked the former studio down to a location that had been converted into a knitting mill. C.C. Burr became a double amputee some years later but continued producing and directing independent films into the 1930s.
"Of course he smiled -- just like you and me." -- Harold Goodwin, on Buster Keaton (1976)

christopher connelly

Postby christopher connelly » Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:38 am

Richard M Roberts wrote:
No Aubrey/Hardy Vitagraph short by that title was released, but Paradise Alley was what Vitagraph called their backlot tenement/slum set.

Might anyone know of an Aubrey/Hardy short that might meet these two criteria:

1) was in production mid-June 1920
2) provided an excuse for a lot of female extras?

His Jonah Day, perhaps?

Richard M Roberts
Godfather

Postby Richard M Roberts » Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:50 am

christopher connelly wrote:
Richard M Roberts wrote:

His Jonah Day, perhaps?

A bit more digging reveals that the Jimmy Aubrey Comedy titled THE BACKYARD (released November 1920) was working titled PARADISE ALLEY and was shot in early July, but this is not known to exist and the plot synopses do not indicate any bevy of beauties. I have a copy of HIS JONAH DAY and it does have some bathing beauties in it. It's a dreadful short, but I'll take a look at it and see if I can spot anyone who looks like Helen Morgan in it.

RICHARD M ROBERTS

christopher connelly

Postby christopher connelly » Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:04 am

Richard M Roberts wrote:
Richard M Roberts wrote:

His Jonah Day, perhaps?

A bit more digging reveals that the Jimmy Aubrey Comedy titled THE BACKYARD (released November 1920) was working titled PARADISE ALLEY and was shot in early July, but this is not known to exist and the plot synopses do not indicate any bevy of beauties. I have a copy of HIS JONAH DAY and it does have some bathing beauties in it. It's a dreadful short, but I'll take a look at it and see if I can spot anyone who looks like Helen Morgan in it.

RICHARD M ROBERTS

Thank you so much!

Richard M Roberts
Godfather

Postby Richard M Roberts » Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:34 am

Thank you so much!

You're welcome, but no sign of Helen Morgan in HIS JONAH DAY. The only three women visible are Evelyn Nelson, Rosa Gore and Estelle Harrison. There's a really unrealistic looking whale, but the rest of it is Aubrey and hardy abusing each other on San Pedro Pier. Maybe THE BACKYARD will turn up in some foreign archive, but there is absolutely no mention of dancers or beauties of any sort in the reviews or synopses.

RICHARD M ROBERTS

christopher connelly

The Decorator (1920) - was Re: C C Burr and east coast production - 1923 edition

Postby christopher connelly » Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:40 pm

Richard M Roberts wrote:
christopher connelly wrote:Might anyone know of an Aubrey/Hardy short that might meet these two criteria:

His Jonah Day, perhaps?

RICHARD M ROBERTS

Hopefully I can successfully resurrect this old thread. Thanks to the angels at The Lantern, I have just positively identified the Jimmy Aubrey/Oliver Hardy short as THE DECORATOR (1920.)

Which brings us to the obvious next questions:

1) does it survive?
2) Does anyone have any stills with young lady extras in them?

Richard M Roberts
Godfather

Re: The Decorator (1920) - was Re: C C Burr and east coast production - 1923 edition

Postby Richard M Roberts » Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:00 pm

Hopefully I can successfully resurrect this old thread. Thanks to the angels at The Lantern, I have just positively identified the Jimmy Aubrey/Oliver Hardy short as THE DECORATOR (1920.)

Which brings us to the obvious next questions:

1) does it survive?
2) Does anyone have any stills with young lady extras in them?

It survives, I have a copy of it.

RICHARD M ROBERTS