Hal Roach's Spat Family

Interact with your favorite SCM authors, producers, directors, historians, archivists and silent comedy savants. Or just read along. Whatever.
DaveGlass

Hal Roach's Spat Family

Postby DaveGlass » Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:58 am

Here's a rare chunk from one of the Hal Roach Spat Family series.
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCj2dPzt ... jPQ/videos
Enjoy...

Dave

Gary Johnson
Cugine

Re: Hal Roach's Spat Family

Postby Gary Johnson » Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:43 pm

Well, it's not rare anymore. Dave just put it up on the World Wide Web.

I had to go consult Richard's book to jog my mind over who The Spat's were and why they were a family.
Whenever I watch any Roach product before L&H, all I see is Charley Chase influence. By the Thirties it's
all Stan & Ollie's imprint.

So from this short clip I'm assuming that the family has planned a day's hike on a nearby summit and have
roped themselves together long before their actual destination?

That's a rather funny conceit. Very Chase-like....

Joe Migliore
Cugine

Postby Joe Migliore » Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:02 pm

Gary Johnson wrote:
Whenever I watch any Roach product before L&H, all I see is Charley Chase influence. By the Thirties it's

That early Roach stuff is great; The Spats, Eddie Boland, and Hunky & Dorrey may not be up the standard we get from Roach's later output, but I always enjoy watching them when the rare opportunity presents itself. (The exception for me is The Dippy Doo-Dads. I just can't buy those dog & monkey storylines.)

Oh, and thank you Dave for posting that.

Richard M Roberts
Godfather

Postby Richard M Roberts » Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:37 am

Joe Migliore wrote:Gary Johnson wrote:

That early Roach stuff is great; The Spats, Eddie Boland, and Hunky & Dorrey may not be up the standard we get from Roach's later output, but I always enjoy watching them when the rare opportunity presents itself. (The exception for me is The Dippy Doo-Dads. I just can't buy those dog & monkey storylines.)

I was never into those inter-species relationships between monkeys and ducks schtick either. Stuff like that only happens in the South.

RICHARD M ROBERTS

Eric Cohen
Associate

Postby Eric Cohen » Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:12 pm

Apie's Eider Rose