Max Davidson Centenary

Interact with your favorite SCM authors, producers, directors, historians, archivists and silent comedy savants. Or just read along. Whatever.
Richard M Roberts
Godfather

Max Davidson Centenary

Postby Richard M Roberts » Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:56 am

Today is the 100th anniversary of the first appearance of Max Davidson in what was the first Comedy Film Series he would make. The film released was AN INTERRUPTED SÉANCE, made by Reliance for Mutual and was directed by Edward Dillon and starred Tod Browning with Max in support.

Davidson would work many times with Dillon and Browning, at Reliance, Komic, and later Triangle. Surviving examples of these collaborations include ETHELS ROOF PARTY (1914), CASEYS VENDETTA (1914) and BILL JOINS THE WWW’S (1914).

A Century ago today, Max Davidson found his acting career turning towards film comedy, and we should celebrate by laying out a nice roast chicken dinner (only if the neighbor does not notice his prize rooster missing), with perhaps a deflated birthday cake reinflated with gas.

RICHARD M ROBERTS

Joe Migliore
Cugine

Re: Max Davidson Centenary

Postby Joe Migliore » Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:03 pm

RICHARD M ROBERTS wrote:
A Century ago today, Max Davidson found his acting career turning towards film comedy, and we should celebrate by laying out a nice roast chicken dinner (only if the neighbor does not notice his prize rooster missing), with perhaps a deflated birthday cake reinflated with gas.

Max affects me the same way Lloyd Hamilton does: The more I see of his work, the more I realize I haven't seen enough. (Not so with Chaplin.)

In your book you briefly discuss his Columbia feature PLEASURE BEFORE BUSINESS. Does it exist in a reasonably complete state? It's got me wondering if Sony would ever consider it as a made-on-demand DVD.

Richard M Roberts
Godfather

Postby Richard M Roberts » Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:08 pm

Joe Migliore wrote:RICHARD M ROBERTS wrote:

Max affects me the same way Lloyd Hamilton does: The more I see of his work, the more I realize I haven't seen enough. (Not so with Chaplin.)

In your book you briefly discuss his Columbia feature PLEASURE BEFORE BUSINESS. Does it exist in a reasonably complete state? It's got me wondering if Sony would ever consider it as a made-on-demand DVD.

LOC has a nice 35mm print of PLEASURE BEFORE BUSINESS that we ran at Slapsticon 2007, it's a very pleasant feature, but who knows if one could convince the suits at Sony to release it MOD? You never know, they did finally put out the Charley Chase Columbias.

RICHARD M ROBERTS (and wouldn't it be nice if Universal put out MODERN LOVE as well?)

Louie Despres
Associate

Postby Louie Despres » Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:29 pm

MODERN LOVE really should be released. A great, wonderful picture.

Gary Johnson
Cugine

Postby Gary Johnson » Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:01 pm

Joe Migliore wrote:

Yes, that hack Chaplin had such a limited bag of tricks.....constantly holding his hand to his face when he was surprised.
Why didn't he learn to do something with props or something??

Richard M Roberts
Godfather

Postby Richard M Roberts » Sat Feb 22, 2014 4:28 am

Gary Johnson wrote:
Joe Migliore wrote:

Yes, that hack Chaplin had such a limited bag of tricks.....constantly holding his hand to his face when he was surprised.
Why didn't he learn to do something with props or something??

Now, now, folk have a right to their likes and dislikes around here. Watch your mouth Johnson. Chaplin never had Spec O' Donnell parade around in step-ins, or made a film where Jackie Coogan played an orphan that he took under his wing..........oh, wait a minute, I guess he did.

RICHARD M ROBERTS