What Happened to Kalton C. Lahue

Interact with your favorite SCM authors, producers, directors, historians, archivists and silent comedy savants. Or just read along. Whatever.
Joe Migliore
Cugine

Re: What Happened to Kalton C. Lahue

Postby Joe Migliore » Sun May 18, 2014 2:25 am

I'm revisiting WORLD OF LAUGHTER, and under photo of Mark Jones it reads "Time has mistreated the comic on the left. His name has been forgotten...". I do remember reading this decades ago, and wondering if we would ever discover his identity. Who did?

Richard M Roberts
Godfather

Postby Richard M Roberts » Sun May 18, 2014 2:33 am

Joe Migliore wrote:I'm revisiting WORLD OF LAUGHTER, and under photo of Mark Jones it reads "Time has mistreated the comic on the left. His name has been forgotten...". I do remember reading this decades ago, and wondering if we would ever discover his identity. Who did?

I wrote some about Mark Jones in my book, he had some sort of Circus background(he was a terrific acrobat), but got into the movies at Rolin in the late teens, and stuck around into the mid-20's, when he did some work at Educational and Universal, then I don't recall that much more has turned up apart from a 1965 death date. I know of a couple of folk who are doing research on the Circus-Silent Film Comedy tie-ins, but I haven't heard anything new on Jones of recent. Anyone else got anything?

RICHARD M ROBERTS

William Ferry
Cugine

Postby William Ferry » Wed May 28, 2014 6:52 am

My first exposure was receiving BOUND AND GAGGED one Christmas as a boy. This led me to seeking out anything Mr. Lahue wrote, either at my local library or bookstores (used and new) when I was older. Over time, I was able to track down and purchase WORLD OF LAUGHTER and GENTLEMEN TO THE RESCUE. I think the last book of his I read was about B Western stars (possibly THEY WENT THATAWAY?)

Like many of you, his works were among my first exposure to this wonderful art form; and like you, reading his books was time well spent.