Banks-mania Grips the Nation

Interact with your favorite SCM authors, producers, directors, historians, archivists and silent comedy savants. Or just read along. Whatever.
Tommie Hicks
Capo

Banks-mania Grips the Nation

Postby Tommie Hicks » Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:11 pm

Speaking of locomotives, I have posted an excerpt from Monty Banks' HORSE SHOES (1927)on You Tube. This film was a blueprint for Keaton's PARDON MY BERTH MARKS. CLyde Bruckman was involved in both films. You can also catch Harry Bowen looking like Emo Phillips and all of the action takes place on the Hal Roach interior train car set.

I am also posting the German silent version of the Educational talkie LOOK OUT BELOW (1929). I have translated the titles and some go by pretty quick. I am amazed at the quality of this early Educational talkie. Is Raymond McKee's wearing horn rimmed glasses and cavorting on a scyscraper skeleton a homage to Harold Lloyd?

I have also posted Harold Lloyd's FIREMAN SAVE MY CHILD.

These clips come from the German U.S. slapstick compilation from 1951, LACHEN OHNE ENDE. I have translated the titles and added some red hot jazz. The Lloyd film has the dreary FCE loop because I couldn't find any teens music to go with it.

HORSE SHOES Pt1:

HORSE SHOES Pt2:

LOOK OUT BELOW Pt1:

LOOK OUT BELOW Pt2:

FIREMAN SAVE MY CHILD: