100 Year Anniversary of Edendale

Interact with your favorite SCM authors, producers, directors, historians, archivists and silent comedy savants. Or just read along. Whatever.
Dino Everett
Associate

100 Year Anniversary of Edendale

Postby Dino Everett » Mon Jul 27, 2009 2:21 am

Last night (Saturday) was a special outdoor screening at the Echo Park Lake. I projected while it was sponsored by the http://www.echoparkfilmcenter.org in conjunction with the Echo Park Historical Society to celebrate the 100 year anniversary of Edendale (which is what the area of Echo Park was called back in the silent film days). We screened (all on 16mm) films that were made in the area, and there were around 150-200 folks there to watch .. Some Keystone comedies with Mabel and Charlie Making a Living (1914), Mabel's Married Life (1914), Barney Oldfield's Race for Life (1913), but then came a highlight the Mabel Normand/Keystone Kops film A Muddy Romance (1913). This one was shot right at the lake where we were, and everyone got a kick out of seeing it get drained. Afterwards we all shuddered at the thought of what they might find if they drained it today. Next came a Harold Lloyd Lonesome Luke short called The Cinema Director(1916) which features Luke as the box office/ticket taker/usher and security guy at a local theatre. The whole time Snub Pollard plays the irresponsible projectionist, and Bebe Daniels as the girl of Luke's desire. We finished the evening off with the Tom Mix film The Law and the Outlaw[1913/1922] from Selig Polyscope company who were the first to set up shop in Edendale. This was the 3 reel version from 1922. It was a very fun night and we had live musical accompaniment from local musicians. 6 movies/ 6 different bands. It was a blast and the setting allowed me to forgive my usual silent film music prejudice.

Speaking on music though my band ANGUS KHAN will be releasing our CD on tuesday and are playing a release party on Thursday at the Echo in Echo Park. The only reason I am mentioning this is because I did the artwork for the CD. Each band member was put into a fake movie poster. Mine was modeled as a silent comedian....See if you figure out who of us I gave a little shout out too..
Attachments
dinoposter.jpg
dinoposter.jpg (63.86 KiB) Viewed 5161 times