Press Release from the Damfinos

Interact with your favorite SCM authors, producers, directors, historians, archivists and silent comedy savants. Or just read along. Whatever.
David B Pearson
Capo

Re: Press Release from the Damfinos

Postby David B Pearson » Thu Jun 19, 2014 7:10 pm

THE CAMERAMAN has always struck me as a very odd film. It is well done, and clearly does contain many of Keaton's own gags. it the pacing that's all wrong, with the storyline betting a bit too dramatic. And it lacks that Keaton symmetry. It also leaves one with the lingering feeling that this could have just as easily been a production for Harold Lloyd. As Walter Kerr put it, much of what made Keaton unique is being chipped away -- which is a major reason why MGM sucked so badly at straight comedy.

David B Pearson
Capo

Re: Press Release from the Damfinos

Postby David B Pearson » Thu Jun 19, 2014 7:18 pm

Richard M Roberts wrote:Now, quit whining and worrying and enjoy your announcement, it is good news indeed. I am not prone to jumping up and down and yelling "hooray" like a giddy teenager or the Damfino Fan Club, I am interested in the historical importance of the material, and this is one of the lessons we can learn from it.

RICHARD M ROBERTS

Well Richard, what can I say? The Damfinos are a naturally bubbly group of wild academic fanatics.

DBP