A Harry Langdon Mystery

Interact with your favorite SCM authors, producers, directors, historians, archivists and silent comedy savants. Or just read along. Whatever.
Richard M Roberts
Godfather

A Harry Langdon Mystery

Postby Richard M Roberts » Sun Jul 06, 2014 5:11 pm

Here’s an interesting item I came across recently in a Pathepictures catalog of non-theatrical rental films selected for religious, educational and social groups dating from 1925:

http://lantern.mediahist.org/catalog/ca ... 0path_0046

Note the Harry Langdon film listed as MAIL AND FEMALE, a title not listed in any Langdon filmography I’ve ever seen. The catalog is very concise as to whom is starring in what short comedies they have listed, even putting them in generally correct chronological order, so I don’t believe this is a typo.

The plot fits Langdon’s first Sol Lesser comedy, which shot under the working title of THE SKYSCRAPER, but I have never seen any record of Pathe ever having released theatrically, under any supposed title. Could THE SKYSCRAPER have only seen the light of day in non-theatrical distribution through Pathe, which could mean 16mm safety prints had been struck and distributed?

Also oddly enough, it is the only of the Sol Lesser Langdon titles listed in this catalogue.

Thoughts anyone?

RICHARD M ROBERTS

Steve Massa
Capo

Re: A Harry Langdon Mystery

Postby Steve Massa » Mon Jul 07, 2014 12:41 pm

Hi Richard - Great sleuthing. It definitely sounds like THE SKYSCRAPER to me too. I've seen a few photos that have Harry with the mail plane, and also with his love, who is rotund Mathilde Comont.

Now we have to be on the lookout for this home film version.

Ed Watz
Associate

Postby Ed Watz » Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:47 am

Richard and Steve, I'm sure you're on to something here. I have one still of Harry with the airplane (which I loaned to Messrs Harter & Hayde for their Langdon book) but Rohauer had about half a dozen stills from THE SKYSCRAPER. Curiously a few of Rohauer's stills were marked with a red grease pencil, which seems to indicate the photos saw publication somewhere, although I've never come across any in print. Maybe the stills were used in another Pathe catalog? I keep checking the flea markets around here, lots of 16mm on the tables though not much of real interest -- so far.
"Of course he smiled -- just like you and me." -- Harold Goodwin, on Buster Keaton (1976)

Joe Migliore
Cugine

Postby Joe Migliore » Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:32 pm

An exciting discovery; this one could be hiding in plain sight in a can that everyone assumes is an Our Gang short. I hope many prints were struck.

Richard M Roberts
Godfather

Postby Richard M Roberts » Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:03 pm

Joe Migliore wrote:An exciting discovery; this one could be hiding in plain sight in a can that everyone assumes is an Our Gang short. I hope many prints were struck.

Dave Denton said the same thing to me the other night, all archives should immediately check their cans marked "Mail and Female" now to make sure it is really the 1937 Our Gang short, or the 1937 Ken Murray Vitaphone short (yep, two in the same year with the same title).

RICHARD M ROBERTS

Ian Elliot
Associate

Postby Ian Elliot » Mon Aug 04, 2014 4:49 pm

Just stumbled on this image in Exhibitors Herald, 11/10/23:

http://lantern.mediahist.org/catalog/ex ... 7exhi_0693

Plus another intriguing one, a couple of months earlier:

http://lantern.mediahist.org/catalog/ex ... xhi_1_0184

And another:

http://lantern.mediahist.org/catalog/ex ... xhi_1_0326

Ed Watz
Associate

Postby Ed Watz » Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:55 am

From Harry Langdon's personal collection, a xerox copy (twice removed - thank you, Raymond Rohauer) from THE SKY SCRAPER.

Another still from this film to follow.

SKY SCRAPER 1.jpg
SKY SCRAPER 1.jpg (121.19 KiB) Viewed 15938 times
"Of course he smiled -- just like you and me." -- Harold Goodwin, on Buster Keaton (1976)

Ed Watz
Associate

Postby Ed Watz » Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:59 am

Another still from THE SKY SCRAPER, also from Harry Langdon's personal collection. About 25 years ago a fellow at Cinecon had several other stills from this title, including several of Harry wearing aviator cap and goggles posing next to an airplane.

SKY SCRAPER 2.jpg
SKY SCRAPER 2.jpg (121 KiB) Viewed 15937 times

Ed Watz
Associate

Postby Ed Watz » Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:44 am

The only still I have from THE SKY SCRAPER, and with an I.D. number
SKY SCRAPER plane.jpg
SKY SCRAPER plane.jpg (214.88 KiB) Viewed 15831 times

Ed Watz
Associate

Postby Ed Watz » Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:49 am

Detail from previous still -- Harry, and the shipping case that the boy is standing on
SKY SCRAPER enlarged.jpg
SKY SCRAPER enlarged.jpg (209.14 KiB) Viewed 15830 times