LOOSER THAN LOOSE PUBLISHING TO CLOSE

Interact with your favorite SCM authors, producers, directors, historians, archivists and silent comedy savants. Or just read along. Whatever.
Paul E. Gierucki
Godfather

LOOSER THAN LOOSE PUBLISHING TO CLOSE

Postby Paul E. Gierucki » Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:22 pm

Dave Stevenson has announced via Facebook that Looser Than Loose Publishing will cease operations:

"Looser Than Loose, our little DVD business, will be shutting down permanently very soon. Too many people, it seems, would rather badger our known customers for "free" copies, or buy duped discs at conventions than buy their own genuine LTL DVDs and support our efforts. We just can't afford to keep absorbing postage increases, taxes, fees and rises in material costs, let alone the procuring of new material. Some people have been very kind and generous in granting us permission to use their source materials, prints, art, etc. Unfortunately, too many people on the other end of scale feel 'entitled' to the material free of charge, simply because they are fans of the artists on the discs or any one of a host of unacceptable alternative reasons. We spend a lot of time transferring film and video, retitling, scoring, tweaking and programming the DVDs, generating artwork, promoting and making the DVDs to order. It is becoming impossible to find the enthusiasm necessary to keep up the effort knowing there are many more people interested in helping themselves to the results without sharing in the cost, than there are good decent people willing to help sustain our projects. Therefore, Looser Than Loose will put out one or two more planned discs and shut its virtual doors. If you wish to support the business you can go to www.looserthanloose and buy something - we'd love to have the business. If you feel entitled to free copies, you start a business, you pay the taxes and fees, you buy the equipment, you purchase the software, you procure the materials, you restore the music, you author the discs, you generate the orders, you design and print the artwork, you pay for the website and promotion, you accept a lousy $6 for postage and shell out $14 at the counter and then you deal with the people who think your efforts are worth nothing." -- Dave Stevenson

Bootlegging, the theft of both audio and video, is not a victimless crime -- and here is prime
example of the consequences. The ranks of silent film proponents are thinning, friends.

Paul E. Gierucki

Joe Migliore
Cugine

Re: LOOSER THAN LOOSE PUBLISHING TO CLOSE

Postby Joe Migliore » Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:07 pm

Devastating news; I've actually been putting together an order to make my own private Slapsticon this year. I've always been happy with Dave's efforts: the packaging, the period music, and the small-gauge prints that aren't available anywhere else. The Lloyd Hamilton and Hal Roach collections alone make Looser Than Loose well worth supporting. Well, I'd better get on the stick and buy up as much as I can before they close up shop. Thank you Dave & Ali for all of the great work, and great customer service.

Gary Johnson
Cugine

Postby Gary Johnson » Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:08 pm

It's only devastating news for those who have been living under a rock. Ever since the DVD format has came along anyone with half a brain can see that the high quality products that were being released by.....say a company like KINO, should suddenly appear in tact from an entirely different entity, and for a substantially lower price. That would have to raise some bells. Unless you are purposely a dumbbell!

I'm not passing judgement or being moral toward anyone because it is only human nature to look out for the best possible deal. Especially in these trying economic times. I myself have DVD's in my collection that I now know are rip-offs from their original distributors. Back in the mid-2000 I found a set of slapstick comedies at Best Buy under the generic title of "Kings of Comedy'. After purchasing and watching these 5 discs I immediately realized that I was watching the initial discs of the SLAP HAPPY series -- which was co-created by our own good friend Richard Milhouse Roberts (Yes, it is true. He was named after our 37th President....). He and I have had written conversations over the production of that series, and even though he was not that happy over the final product, I never felt comfortable mentioning to him that my first exposure to his series (it never aired in my market) was from a basically bootleg copy (until now, that is). I have since picked up the missing titles from the series from the original distributors, but I have never bothered to replace the episodes that I already own. After all......I already own them! It's Human Nature!

This reminds me of Chris Snowden throwing in the towel a few years ago just when I was getting into a bad financial state myself, and I was thinking, "Why didn't I buy those discs of his five years earlier when I was solvent?" Well, I'm more solvent now and ironically I have recently been looking into purchasing products from Looser Than Loose that I had been putting off for years - like their Lloyd Hamilton sets - when this news hits. I feel like I'm some DVD Hoodoo. A jinx!
So I'm sorry if Dave Stevenson cannot make a go in this changing retail world but I truly cannot blame the consumer in this boondoggle. To me this is no different from the banks selling off toxic assets during the Bush Depression. They knew the assets were no good but the rules had been changed so it was all legal and above board. Where are the laws that prevent one companies ownership from being superseded by another? To me the problem in this new digital age is legal ownership. And isn't it ironic that we have come full circle back to the early Nickelodeon days when every hit one-reel film was susceptible to be re-copied and re-marketed in a matter of a week. So that THE GREAT TRAIN ROBBERY could suddenly be re-branded THE REALLY GREAT TRAIN ROBBERY and sell just as many tickets at the box office as the original did?

Richard M Roberts
Godfather

Postby Richard M Roberts » Fri Jul 11, 2014 6:56 am

Gary Johnson wrote:It's only devastating news for those who have been living under a rock. Ever since the DVD format has came along anyone with half a brain can see that the high quality products that were being released by.....say a company like KINO, should suddenly appear in tact from an entirely different entity, and for a substantially lower price. That would have to raise some bells. Unless you are purposely a dumbbell!

I'm not passing judgement or being moral toward anyone because it is only human nature to look out for the best possible deal. Especially in these trying economic times. I myself have DVD's in my collection that I now know are rip-offs from their original distributors. Back in the mid-2000 I found a set of slapstick comedies at Best Buy under the generic title of "Kings of Comedy'. After purchasing and watching these 5 discs I immediately realized that I was watching the initial discs of the SLAP HAPPY series -- which was co-created by our own good friend Richard Milhouse Roberts (Yes, it is true. He was named after our 37th President....). He and I have had written conversations over the production of that series, and even though he was not that happy over the final product, I never felt comfortable mentioning to him that my first exposure to his series (it never aired in my market) was from a basically bootleg copy (until now, that is). I have since picked up the missing titles from the series from the original distributors, but I have never bothered to replace the episodes that I already own. After all......I already own them! It's Human Nature!

This reminds me of Chris Snowden throwing in the towel a few years ago just when I was getting into a bad financial state myself, and I was thinking, "Why didn't I buy those discs of his five years earlier when I was solvent?" Well, I'm more solvent now and ironically I have recently been looking into purchasing products from Looser Than Loose that I had been putting off for years - like their Lloyd Hamilton sets - when this news hits. I feel like I'm some DVD Hoodoo. A jinx!
So I'm sorry if Dave Stevenson cannot make a go in this changing retail world but I truly cannot blame the consumer in this boondoggle. To me this is no different from the banks selling off toxic assets during the Bush Depression. They knew the assets were no good but the rules had been changed so it was all legal and above board. Where are the laws that prevent one companies ownership from being superseded by another? To me the problem in this new digital age is legal ownership. And isn't it ironic that we have come full circle back to the early Nickelodeon days when every hit one-reel film was susceptible to be re-copied and re-marketed in a matter of a week. So that THE GREAT TRAIN ROBBERY could suddenly be re-branded THE REALLY GREAT TRAIN ROBBERY and sell just as many tickets at the box office as the original did?

You could have saved your discomfort Gary, that Madacy KINGS OF COMEDY set from the SLAPHAPPY series was a legitimately licensed release.

RICHARD M ROBERTS

William Ferry
Cugine

Postby William Ferry » Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:32 am

You could have saved your discomfort Gary, that Madacy KINGS OF COMEDY set from the SLAPHAPPY series was a legitimately licensed release.

RICHARD M ROBERTS[/quote]

I'm glad to hear this - I picked up a copy at FYE a few years ago, and was delighted to find out it was half of the Slap Happy collection. I posted a review of it on Amazon. I recommend it highly.

Jim Roots

Postby Jim Roots » Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:56 am

Damn. I don't have enough money to buy all the stuff on my LTL want list right away.

This is depressing news.

Jim
When you're surrounded by vultures, playing dead is not a good strategy.

Pasquale Ventura

Postby Pasquale Ventura » Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:12 pm

Never purchased anything from Looser Than Loose but their Larry Semon DVDs caught my eye. They will probably be out of business by the time I can afford to order it anyway.

Has Looser Than Loose stated when they will shut down?

Pasquale

Joe Migliore
Cugine

Postby Joe Migliore » Wed Aug 06, 2014 2:54 pm

A GUIDE FOR COMPLETISTS
I’ve compiled a list of films Looser Than Loose offers, that are currently not available on DVD elsewhere, as far as I can tell. It is for anyone who is obsessed with canon.
Stan Laurel – These shorts are not included in the Kino discs:
BEARS & BAD MEN (1918) – Stan Laurel Reference Library Volume One
COLLARS & CUFFS (1918) – Roach Volume Three
A WEAK-END PARTY (1922)[surviving first reel] – Stan Laurel Reference Library Volume Two
THE HANDY MAN (1923) – Stan Laurel Reference Library Volume Two
THE WHOLE TRUTH (1923) – The Larger World Of Laurel & Hardy Volume Nine
Harold Lloyd – These shorts are not on the New Line, or Kino discs:
BACK TO THE WOODS (1918) – Snub & Marie: Sex, Lies & 9.5mm
FIREMAN, SAVE MY CHILD (1918) – Roach Volume Three
SOMEWHERE IN TURKEY (1918) – Roach Volume Three
SWING YOUR PARTNERS (1918) – Roach Volume Three
Charley Chase – These shorts are not on the Milestone, Allday Entertainment, or Kino discs:
THERE AIN’T NO SANTA CLAUS (1926) – Charley Chase & Friends Volume One
WHAT WOMEN DID FOR ME (1927) – Roach Volume Three
Harry Langdon – These shorts supplement Allday’s LOST & FOUND collection:
SHANGHAIED LOVERS (1924) – Harry Langdon
THE STAGE HAND (1933) – Harry Langdon
GOODNESS, A GHOST! (1940) – Harry Langdon
Lloyd Hamilton – In addition to the five-disc The Lost Magic Of Lloyd Hamilton, and the follow-up disc Hamaddenda, there are these gems:
THE ONION MAGNATE’S REVENGE (1917) – Manchester Mirthquake Obscurities
TOO MANY HIGHBALLS (1933) – Sennett Volume Five

Pasquale Ventura

Postby Pasquale Ventura » Wed Aug 06, 2014 5:03 pm

BEARS & BAD MEN, COLLARS & CUFFS, A WEAK-END PARTY have indeed been released on DVD several years ago from Lobster Films in a Region2 PAL box set of 58 Laurel and Hardy solo shorts from France:

http://www.amazon.de/Coffret-courts-met ... t+courts-métrages+laurel+et+hardy

Also included are GAS AND AIR, SCORCHING SANDS, SAVE THE SHIP, TWINS, MIXED NUTS and a six minute fragment from a french sound reissue of WIDE OPEN SPACES. These shorts were omitted from Kino's American DVD release for some reason. I have this set and if it's still available highly recommend it for silent comedy fans.

Pasquale V.

Joe Migliore
Cugine

Postby Joe Migliore » Wed Aug 06, 2014 5:48 pm

Pasquale Ventura wrote:
BEARS & BAD MEN, COLLARS & CUFFS, A WEAK-END PARTY have indeed been released on DVD several years ago from Lobster Films in a Region2 PAL box set of 58 Laurel and Hardy solo shorts from France

I figured there were probably stray titles available in Europe. How does WIDE OPEN SPACES look?