Almost MOSTLY LOST

Interact with your favorite SCM authors, producers, directors, historians, archivists and silent comedy savants. Or just read along. Whatever.
Rob Stone
Associate

Almost MOSTLY LOST

Postby Rob Stone » Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:23 pm

Starting tomorrow some of the first attendees for MOSTLY LOST 3 will start showing up in Culpeper. Really looking forward to this year's workshop. Over 120 attendees this year, some very cool programs, and many very unidentified films to watch. Thanks to all who are showing up and participating. I get to play with old movies all the time and somebody pays me to do so... even with that this is my favorite week of the year!

Louie Despres
Associate

Re: Almost MOSTLY LOST

Postby Louie Despres » Tue Jul 15, 2014 6:57 am

So sorry I won't be able to attend. After the fest will there be unidentified frame grabs up on the flickr site?

Rob Farr
Godfather

Postby Rob Farr » Wed Jul 16, 2014 3:10 pm

Yes. Rachel usually posts them within a few weeks of the end of the conference. I'll try to report on any major, but mostly minor discoveries on this site and the Mostly Lost FB page.
Rob Farr
"If it's not comedy, I fall asleep" - Harpo Marx

DaveGlass

Postby DaveGlass » Sat Jul 19, 2014 12:20 pm

Big thanks Rob.
You must know that all of us who are not lucky enough to attend, are hanging on to every slim morsel of information you can give us....

Rob Farr
Godfather

Postby Rob Farr » Sat Jul 19, 2014 4:21 pm

If you' haven't done so already, join the Friends of Mostly Lost FB page. Lots of up to the minute reports with screen shots.
Rob Farr

Richard M Roberts
Godfather

Postby Richard M Roberts » Sat Jul 19, 2014 4:34 pm

Rob Farr wrote:If you' haven't done so already, join the Friends of Mostly Lost FB page. Lots of up to the minute reports with screen shots.

In other words, if you haven't made your deal with the devil and joined Facebook, you are SOL.

This comes from silent comedy mafia's so-called "up to the minute" MOSTLY LOST reporter, Mr. Farr.

RICHARD M ROBERTS

Rob Farr
Godfather

Postby Rob Farr » Mon Jul 21, 2014 5:38 pm

The Friends of Mostly Lost FB page should be open the public for viewing, though not posting. Try this: https://www.facebook.com/groups/146531315520700/

In the meantime, I'll post a Mostly Lost 3 review tonight.
Rob Farr

Rob Farr
Godfather

Postby Rob Farr » Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:46 pm

Comedies Screened at Mostly Lost:
With Rachel Parker taking copious notes, which will be published in due course, I did not take detailed notes of my own. So here are the comedy films as listed in the Mostly Lost program with my notes following where I could add something. Final Mostly Lost notes will be forthcoming.

Session 1: Library of Congress:

Unid Billy West Comedy. Bulls Eye. Monty Banks, Mack Swain, Leo White, Harry Mann, Russell Powell. Character names: Sherlock McNutt, Ambrose.
Synopsis: Leo White is a crook who has a team of people disguise him as various characters. Across the hall, Monty Banks has a business and his assistant Ambrose is late. Harry Mann is scrubbing the floors doing his Chaplin impersonation. White is dressed as an old man who stands in the hallway and plays a violin which brings Monty, Mack and Harry to tears. The man shows the violin (labeled as “Genuine Strativarius” to Monty in hopes of selling it.

Unid. Nichol No. 23: Gaumont Comedy. Year 1911-12. Cast. Lucien Bataille.
Synopsis: Mr. Brown hires Zigoto as a riding partner for his niece to keep her away from her boyfriend, but Zigoto turns out to be so inept in the saddle (crashing into everything) that she’s easily able to meet her lover. Note: This was positively identified. Title will be posted with the rest of Mostly Lost notes.

Unid. Jimmie Adams comedy. Two segments: 1) Jimmie is followed by two detectives who think he may be Bert the Flirt, wanted by the police and known to wear a gray derby. Adams tried to ditch his grey derby but can’t. Shot in Glendale CA was Glendale Pharmacy was visible as well as a trolley with Eagle Rock as its destination. This is likely to be Nonsense (1920) or Bang (1921). 2) Kids comedy. Backyard stage with kids pretending to be Chaplin and Coogan from The Kid.

Unid. Vaudeville Comedy Team. Sound. Two reels.
Character names Mac McCarty, Esther Studebaker and Mary Adams.
Synopsis: Two men arrive in a car, tell jokes and talk about taking two girls out that night. They meet two random girls on the street. The girls sing, “What a Night for Spooning” accompanied by ukulele. McCarty’s shtick is to swing wildly at his partner without actually hitting him and emitting a series of “Woo-woo-woo’s”. The title is still a mystery, but one ML attendee thought the straight man was George LeMaire. This has a Pathe soundtrack.

Session 2: Museum of Modern Art:

Unid. Comedy – High Building. One reel. A man beckons to a bride at the window of a high rise. The brides’ father (?) shuts the window and the man is picked up by a steel beam from the building of a nearby skyscraper. The girl is picked up later and eventually the two are accidently joined by the pastor. They play around on the skeleton of the skyscraper until all three are back on one beam The dad has the groom and himself lifted to join him, and they all dangle. This was thought by one attendee to be a Jack White Cameo.

Session 3: Royal Archive of Belgium:

Her Friend the Bandit (not really but that’s what the program says). One reel. Bullseye. Cast: Billy West, Ethlyn Gibson. Fake Chaplin. Charlie is pursued by a policeman. Trying to escape from him, Charlie finds himself at a costumed party where he is easily accepted and blends among the guests. All ends when his better dressed double enters the party and is recognized by the other guests. Unmasked, Charlie turns himself into the police.

Beaucitron a du Flair. 14 minutes. Director: Charles Parrott. Cast: Snub Pollard, Noah Young. Synopsis: After escaping from a police office, Beaucitron (French name) meets a leading actress from the theatre at the entrance lodges. He manages to sneak into the theatre but accidentally messes up the performance. The man actor resigns, band Beaucritron replaces him. He manages to seduce the actress.

TO BE CONTINUED...
Rob Farr

Richard M Roberts
Godfather

Postby Richard M Roberts » Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:03 pm

Beaucitron a du Flair. 14 minutes. Director: Charles Parrott. Cast: Snub Pollard, Noah Young. Synopsis: After escaping from a police office, Beaucitron (French name) meets a leading actress from the theatre at the entrance lodges. He manages to sneak into the theatre but accidentally messes up the performance. The man actor resigns, band Beaucritron replaces him. He manages to seduce the actress.

STAGE STRUCK (Hal Roach-Pathe' released February 12, 1922) Directed by William Watson actually.

RICHARD M ROBERTS

Richard M Roberts
Godfather

Postby Richard M Roberts » Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:11 pm

Going through the MOSTLY LOST 3 program book today:

number 67, the Billie Rhodes/Cullen Landis/Billy Bevan short is WALTZING AROUND (Mutual Strand Comedy released March 5, 1918).

number 97 is THE VULGAR YACHTSMEN (Standard-Cinema-FBO released November 15, 1926) with the Three Fatties and Gale Henry.

RICHARD M ROBERTS