Buster's AIP films

Interact with your favorite SCM authors, producers, directors, historians, archivists and silent comedy savants. Or just read along. Whatever.
Chris Seguin

Buster's AIP films

Postby Chris Seguin » Sun Aug 02, 2009 12:36 pm

Anyone out there know when Buster's four AIP films were shot? The first (Pajama Party) was released in late 1964, the other three in mid '65. I'm not entirely sure how AIP's production schedule worked vs. their release schedule (were they shot in clusters and release over time?), so any insights would be greatly appreciated!
Chris

Richard M Roberts
Godfather

Re: Buster's AIP films

Postby Richard M Roberts » Sun Aug 02, 2009 1:11 pm

Chris Seguin wrote:Anyone out there know when Buster's four AIP films were shot? The first (Pajama Party) was released in late 1964, the other three in mid '65. I'm not entirely sure how AIP's production schedule worked vs. their release schedule (were they shot in clusters and release over time?), so any insights would be greatly appreciated!
Chris

The first three of Buster's AIP pictures ( PAJAMA PARTY, BEACH BLANKET BINGO, and HOW TO STUFF A WILD BIKINI) were shot from August 1964 through January,1965, in and around several TV appearances like BURKES LAW and THE GREATEST SHOW ON EARTH, as well THE RAILRODDER, which he shot in September-October 1964. I think his scenes in SERGEANT DEADHEAD were shot a bit later in the Spring of 1965. Of course, technically, WAR, ITALIAN STYLE was also an AIP Picture, since they did co-finance it and release it here in the States, and that was shot in the Summer of 1965. Buster was also contracted to repeat his Indian role from PAJAMA PARTY in AIP's GHOST IN THE INVISIBLE BIKINI, but his death prevented that, and he was replaced by Benny Rubin.

RICHARD M ROBERTS

Chris Seguin

Re: Buster's AIP films

Postby Chris Seguin » Mon Aug 03, 2009 12:15 am

Thanks Richard for your input. I really want to try to cobble together a timeline for the last working year of Buster's career, from his 69th birthday shooting THE RAILRODDER in Canada to his 70th birthday during production of THE SCRIBE. It seems like a very busy year, perhaps one of his busiest of the 1960s...five feature films shot in three countries, the two Canadian shorts, a documentary on his career, and several TV appearances including A SALUTE TO STAN LAUREL among the ones you mentioned.
Chris