Ed Wynn introduces "Silent Television"

Interact with your favorite SCM authors, producers, directors, historians, archivists and silent comedy savants. Or just read along. Whatever.
Louie Despres
Associate

Re: Ed Wynn introduces "Silent Television"

Postby Louie Despres » Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:34 pm

Great clip. I love how Buster says, "are you cranking?" before he throws the pie.

Chris Seguin

Postby Chris Seguin » Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:36 pm

Louie, you're right. Buster's use of the word "cranking" could feel like an anachronistic affectation of an "old timey" silent comedian, but I think it was just the word he used!

Here's another bit of CBC footage, from the production of THE SCRIBE. This was used in the Brownlow/Gill documentary A HARD ACT TO FOLLOW, and you get to see a little glimpse of the film's director, John Sebert. Note the heavy shearling coat, it was a particularly cold autumn in Canada... no kind of weather for a man dying of lung cancer:

Ian Elliot
Associate

Postby Ian Elliot » Fri Jan 01, 2010 11:26 am

Happy New Year, Everyone. The CBC have posted another short slice of this CLOSE UP segment with some interesting comments from the Messrs. Keaton, Lahr & Foy:

Louie Despres
Associate

Postby Louie Despres » Fri Jan 01, 2010 12:21 pm

Ian Elliot wrote:Happy New Year, Everyone. The CBC have posted another short slice of this CLOSE UP segment with some interesting comments from the Messrs. Keaton, Lahr & Foy:

OK, I need to see this whole show now. Thanks for posting this Ian.