Shutting Down Silent-Movies.Com

Interact with your favorite SCM authors, producers, directors, historians, archivists and silent comedy savants. Or just read along. Whatever.
David B Pearson
Capo

Shutting Down Silent-Movies.Com

Postby David B Pearson » Tue Dec 09, 2014 11:06 am

Well, after 18 years online, I've decided to shut my silent-movies.com sites down. I'd not done much with it in the last several years, as much of the code became so old and the thing fell into disrepair and broken links. It was also clear that things like the quicktime clip areas, containing a few seconds of silent film designed for dial-up connections, had became horribly obsolete. The only solution seemed to be a complete rewrite of several thousand webpages -- or simply starting over fresh.

Anyway, this is not the end of me online. Luckily I'm also the webmaster for the Damfinos, so "Arbucklemania" already has a new home at busterkeaton.com, and indeed the roscoearbuckle.com and silent-movies.com domains already point there.

My "Silent Ladies & Gents," photo galleries, "Blue Book of the Screen," and "Stars of the Silent Photoplay" sites will reappear with modern code at busterkeaton.com over the next few months.

Tim Greer will be inheriting the old "Harry Langdon Society" site for whatever he sees fit over at FeetofMud.Com

As for the Quicktime sites, they are being retired, but I suppose will live on over at archive.org.

Anyway, thanks for any support from y'all over the years.

Best,
David B. Pearson
http://silent-movies.com

Paul E. Gierucki
Godfather

Re: Shutting Down Silent-Movies.Com

Postby Paul E. Gierucki » Thu Dec 11, 2014 2:15 am

Am very much looking forward to the upgrades
that will be coming to Arbucklemania at its new
home. Arbuckle and Keaton together again!

Thank you for all of your efforts, David.
Onward and upward!

Paul E. Gierucki

Rob Farr
Godfather

Re: Shutting Down Silent-Movies.Com

Postby Rob Farr » Fri Dec 12, 2014 1:04 pm

David, you were a pioneer in using the web to present serious film history. I remember being amazed that I could actually hear Roscoe's voice welcoming me to Arbucklemania. Congrats!
Rob Farr
"If it's not comedy, I fall asleep" - Harpo Marx