Sacred Cows

Interact with your favorite SCM authors, producers, directors, historians, archivists and silent comedy savants. Or just read along. Whatever.
Joan Myers
Associate

Re: Sacred Cows

Postby Joan Myers » Sat Jun 06, 2009 1:21 am

Richard M Roberts wrote:Birth Control and Abortion. (apart from the 1919 Universal Comedy BERTH CONTROL, but I think that was actually about trains).

RICHARD M ROBERTS

Pregnancy altogether seemed to be off limits, didn't it? I don't think I've ever seen a silent joke or comedy that revolved around the lighter side (er) of pregnancy. Usually quite slim women just show up the next day with a baby.

Oh, forgot one. Cancer.

Joan...Fred...(drool)

Joan Myers
Associate

Postby Joan Myers » Sat Jun 06, 2009 1:25 am

Rob Farr wrote:
Brent Walker wrote:Biblically, Ben Turpin played John the Baptist (or actually an actor playing John the Baptist) in Sennett's SALOME VS. SHENANDOAH (1919).

Now that I think of it, both Chaplin and Stan Laurel acted out comic versions of the David and Goliath story. OK, so let's amend my statement to say categorically that the New Testament was off limits.

(cough) John the Baptist.

Joan

Rob Farr
Godfather

Postby Rob Farr » Sat Jun 06, 2009 8:10 am

Joan Myers wrote:
Rob Farr wrote:
Brent Walker wrote:Biblically, Ben Turpin played John the Baptist (or actually an actor playing John the Baptist) in Sennett's SALOME VS. SHENANDOAH (1919).

Now that I think of it, both Chaplin and Stan Laurel acted out comic versions of the David and Goliath story. OK, so let's amend my statement to say categorically that the New Testament was off limits.

(cough) John the Baptist.

Joan

OK, once Jesus enters the scene, all jokes are off limits.
Rob Farr
"If it's not comedy, I fall asleep" - Harpo Marx

Agnes McFadden
Cugine

Postby Agnes McFadden » Sat Jun 06, 2009 11:35 am

I don't think that Jesus became funny ( they couldn't find a way to balance comedy with sacrolidge for quite a while with Him) until Mel Brooks came along.

Agnes McFadden
Agnes McFadden