BLAZING AWAY (1928) Lloyd Hamilton

Interact with your favorite SCM authors, producers, directors, historians, archivists and silent comedy savants. Or just read along. Whatever.
Ed Watz
Associate

BLAZING AWAY (1928) Lloyd Hamilton

Postby Ed Watz » Thu Jan 01, 2015 9:47 am

I just found this title tucked away on an old USB stick from 2007. Don't know the provenance on this but it doesn't appear to have been shared previously. The added music suggests a Videobrary or Grapevine release although I haven't found it in either collection. At any rate, it's one of the better late silents with Ham, and for anyone who's up for a Marion Morrison search, who knows? The second half does feature a football game. It's a fun & rare Ham for New Year's Day.

http://youtu.be/LD2_rANT_AY
"Of course he smiled -- just like you and me." -- Harold Goodwin, on Buster Keaton (1976)

Richard M Roberts
Godfather

Re: BLAZING AWAY (1928) Lloyd Hamilton

Postby Richard M Roberts » Thu Jan 01, 2015 11:26 am

Ed Watz wrote:I just found this title tucked away on an old USB stick from 2007. Don't know the provenance on this but it doesn't appear to have been shared previously. The added music suggests a Videobrary or Grapevine release although I haven't found it in either collection. At any rate, it's one of the better late silents with Ham, and for anyone who's up for a Marion Morrison search, who knows? The second half does feature a football game. It's a fun & rare Ham for New Year's Day.

http://youtu.be/LD2_rANT_AY

Thanks for posting this Ed, I have a fewer-generation copy of this on VHS with it's original french subtitles, so it's nice to see someone re-created the english ones even if it is a bit blurrier. Oddly enough, this was another Educational short I looked closely at for a possible John Wayne extra bit as a football player, but he didn't seem to be there.

The first tune on the soundtrack has had it's notorious vocal trimmed, but it's a rather appropriate ditty for many (at least of the feminine side of the population) to be likely humming on this New Years Morn, it's WAS I DRUNK (WAS HE HANDSOME AND DID MY MOM GIVE ME HELL) recorded by Sid Peltyn and His Orchestra released under the pseudonymous Victor name of Eliot Everett and his Orchestra on the Orthophonic 24085 from 1932. I couldn't come across a download of that recording, but here's a couple others of the song by Lil Johnson:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWuSPM3bBNQ

and the New Dixie Demons:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdTx9y3zgqo

Happy New Year Everyone!

RICHARD M ROBERTS

Joe Migliore
Cugine

Postby Joe Migliore » Thu Jan 01, 2015 1:25 pm

Nice one, Ed! The very first day of 2015 and there's already a Lloyd Hamilton short posted; I think this bodes well for a happy new year, everyone!

John Bengtson

Postby John Bengtson » Sat Jan 03, 2015 12:30 pm

Thanks for posting this - yet another football themed comedy that was filmed at the former Bovard Field at USC, along with Lloyd's The Freshman and Keaton's Three Ages and College.

The Draw Back (1927) with Johnny Arthur also has many great views of the field.
http://youtu.be/O1arjP9xyc4?list=PLZCm3ZUYUHvQ-XB8AjsW1LE7aR3oDcI1G

Cheers, John

Tommie Hicks
Capo

Postby Tommie Hicks » Mon Jan 05, 2015 4:42 pm

I pieced together the original video and replaced the cards and slapped a jazz soundtrack for my old You-tube channel.

Here is a better copy but some of the letters on the title cards are obscured.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=966bG-L ... e=youtu.be

I find it interesting that halfway through, Hamilton is doubled at the train depot bit and Jerry Mandy takes over the comedy. Maybe Ham had a doctor's appointment.

This short is actually quite good for a late Educational Hamilton silent short.

Ed Watz
Associate

Postby Ed Watz » Mon Jan 05, 2015 5:30 pm

Thanks Tommie,

I had no idea on the origin of that copy so I'm glad that you stepped forward. That's an excellent job you did, remaking the Educational title cards. Do you know the source of the foreign print, and whether they had other silent comedies?
"Of course he smiled -- just like you and me." -- Harold Goodwin, on Buster Keaton (1976)

Tommie Hicks
Capo

Postby Tommie Hicks » Thu Jan 08, 2015 4:53 pm

Concerning THE DRAWBACK as I'm sure has been noted before, a man who resembles John Wayne appears over Glen Cavender's shoulder at 14:49.

Richard M Roberts
Godfather

Postby Richard M Roberts » Thu Jan 08, 2015 4:56 pm

Tommie Hicks wrote:Concerning THE DRAWBACK as I'm sure has been noted before, a man who resembles John Wayne appears over Glen Cavender's shoulder at 14:49.

It has been so noted before. Wayne is seen helmetless on the bench and is the player in the helmet who does the bit with Johnnie Arthur at the goalpost.

RICHARD M ROBERTS

Ed Watz
Associate

Postby Ed Watz » Sat Jan 10, 2015 4:57 am

Incidentally, the phrase "Was I drunk" etc. is referenced in a gag spoken by Buster Keaton (of all people) near the start of THE PASSIONATE PLUMBER (1932).

Chris Webb

Postby Chris Webb » Fri Jan 16, 2015 12:11 am

Wow! I really enjoyed that. The shot at the end with the collapsible car is amazing! Thanks for the link.