Couple of "newsreel" type curios...

Interact with your favorite SCM authors, producers, directors, historians, archivists and silent comedy savants. Or just read along. Whatever.
Gary Johnson
Cugine

Re: Couple of "newsreel" type curios...

Postby Gary Johnson » Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:54 am

This thread just gets better and better.....The Wacky Races??!!!???

Richard M Roberts
Godfather

Postby Richard M Roberts » Fri Apr 24, 2015 5:46 am

Looks like I have prints of three of these, the aforeseen FOOT RACE ( in English), SKATE RACE and AUTO RACE.

In SKATE RACE, I spotted Harry Bowen again as the announcer, Snub Pollard, Eddie Baker, Heinie Conklin, Billy Engle, Jack Duffy, either Ray Turner or Spencer Bell (sadly, hard to tell from allotted footage), Jerry Mandy, and John J. Richardson. The Chinese Guy from the Pup Race is back, and is called “Won Lung” by the narrator, but not referred to by actual name.

Looks like this was shot around USC, they go past the Football Stadium and surrounding streets, and again, this one looks like an actual event, with a lot of folks lining the streets to watch.

In AUTO RACE, I spotted Max Davidson, Marvin Loback, Heinie Conklin, Fred "Snowflake” Toombs, Eddie Baker, Jerry Mandy, Max Asher I think, and John J. Richardson, all seen less fully as it’s obvious they use real stunt drivers in the cars and insert shots of the comedians driving. This was shot at a racetrack where I spotted signs saying something like DuBrocks Steeplechase Race Course (could find nothing about this track online), but once again, the obvious guiding hand of Del Lord appears to be evident in the car race gags and set-ups (and a better budget for this one, they run one race car off a cliff and destroy one prop house). Curiously, this one was not narrated.

RICHARD M ROBERTS

Tommie Hicks
Capo

Postby Tommie Hicks » Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:37 am

Could the Chinese guy be Chai Hong?