Silent Laughter Event

Interact with your favorite SCM authors, producers, directors, historians, archivists and silent comedy savants. Or just read along. Whatever.
DaveGlass

Silent Laughter Event

Postby DaveGlass » Tue Oct 27, 2015 4:36 am

Just thought you'd like to know what was shown at this event we held at the Cinema Museum in London last Saturday.
Things kicked off at 10am with Kevin Brownlow introducing his print of PATHS TO PARADISE (Raymond Griffith).
We then had BFI's gorgeous 35mm nitrate print of DUCK SOUP to start the 'Laurel & Hardy Revelations' piece - so good to see this film in the best possible quality (and with sensible inter-titles too!)
David Robinson then spoke about the time he interviewed Laurel & Hardy in the early 50s for the Sight & Sound magazine, which was followed by the Stan Laurel short WHEN KNIGHTS WERE COLD.
After lunch, Matthew Ross presented 'Silent Contenders' featuring an excerpt (the mirror sequence) of SEVEN YEARS BAD LUCK with Max Linder; Lloyd Hamilton's THE SIMP (reconstructed 22 minute version!); Charley Chase LIMOUSINE LOVE and another sparkling nitrate print we borrowed from Photoplay of Lupino Lane's SWORD POINTS.
After a break - 'A Hard Act to Follow' in which David Wyatt chatted to Kevin Brownlow about the making of the Keaton series. This included a newly discovered ending to 'My Wife's Relations' sent over by Serge Bromberg.
Next was Walter Forde's rarely seen feature YOU'D BE SURPRISED (courtesy of BFI). This silent film is all about sound and features a particular song which was discovered in time for this showing. John Sweeney was on piano along with a live singer, a cast of musical instrumentalists from the audience and live sound effects too! Excellent.
Finally, after dinner, we finished with Harold Lloyd's GIRL SHY.
A very successful day and I'm sure the first of many more.
Here's a link to the little montage I threw together for the event:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gM1_4Pos398

Joe Migliore
Cugine

Re: Silent Laughter Event

Postby Joe Migliore » Tue Oct 27, 2015 6:21 am

Brilliant montage, Dave! I wish I could have been there. I don't suppose there's any audio of David Wyatt and Kevin Brownlow discussing the Keaton documentary.

Gary Johnson
Cugine

Postby Gary Johnson » Tue Oct 27, 2015 12:51 pm

And did David Robinson have anything new to say about his L&H interview?
(You know...beside the fact that they were very polite gentlemen...)

Richard M Roberts
Godfather

Postby Richard M Roberts » Wed Oct 28, 2015 10:46 am

This looked like a fun day of film watching and laughs. Let us know when you are planning another one. The montage was indeed well done.

RICHARD M ROBERTS

DaveGlass

Postby DaveGlass » Sat Oct 31, 2015 6:51 am

Sorry for late reply but been away for three days in Berlin.
Recommend their Film Museum.

Anyway, thanks for the kind words re. the compilation.
Joe - sorry but I don't think there's any audio from the Brownlow int. I'll check though.
Gary - yep, you've seen it then!
Richard - I'll be sure to shout from the rooftops when we do another....