Amazing Russian comedy 1916

Interact with your favorite SCM authors, producers, directors, historians, archivists and silent comedy savants. Or just read along. Whatever.
David Denton
Capo

Amazing Russian comedy 1916

Postby David Denton » Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:08 am

ok, it's only amazing that it got past the censor. Here is LYSYJ VIJUBLEN V TANCOVSCICU, I guess roughly translated as "Bald is in Love with the Dancer" starring and directed by Reynolds (R. Rejnol's). David Robinson mentions him quickly in "The Great Funnies". Apparently, 'Lysyj' was a comedy series of sorts, as the 1988 FIAF Treasures lists three of them at Gosfilmofond. Welcome to a new comedian you never knew you never saw.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xRsVNubf7c

Who says the Russians have no sense of humor?

David Denton
Capo

Re: Amazing Russian comedy 1916

Postby David Denton » Sun Nov 29, 2015 6:07 pm

I have seen two more in the "Baldy" (Lysyj) series, BALDY-CAMERAMAN and BALDY INVITED FOR DINNER, also from 1916. They were incomplete, 3 or 4 minute chunks. I'd like to say that Reynolds is more restrained, no pelvic thrusts this time, but subtle he is not. These comedies are pretty simple, like comedies from 1912 or so. I can post the links, but doubt that would be necessary. I am interested to find out more about Robert Reynolds. David Robinson wrote that he was "clearly Anglo-Saxon", so perhaps he came from an English music-hall or circus background.