Early Chaplin film still question.

Interact with your favorite SCM authors, producers, directors, historians, archivists and silent comedy savants. Or just read along. Whatever.
Darren Nemeth

Early Chaplin film still question.

Postby Darren Nemeth » Mon Mar 14, 2016 1:57 am

I'm working on a book about motion picture cameras and need info on this famous photo.

What film is this from?

Also are there other photos of him with similar cameras from the era?

Richard M Roberts
Godfather

Re: Early Chaplin film still question.

Postby Richard M Roberts » Mon Mar 14, 2016 7:33 am

Darren Nemeth wrote:I'm working on a book about motion picture cameras and need info on this famous photo.

What film is this from?

Also are there other photos of him with similar cameras from the era?

The camera is a Butcher and Sons Empire #3, which was a British Camera distributed by the Williamson Kinematograph Company, here's another picture:

The still is usually attributed to KID AUTO RACES AT VENICE, but it is shot at the Keystone Studio, which makes me think it was for A FILM JOHNNIE, though there is no such exact scene in the picture. but with Lehrman behind Chaplin, there is not much else it can be, unless it might be a behind the scenes shot from MABEL'S STRANGE PREDICAMENT. It may have been used as a posed shot for KID AUTO RACES as that short was shot so fast and on location, there may have not been any still photos taken, or it may just be a publicity shot in general.

RICHARD M ROBERTS

Gary Johnson
Cugine

Postby Gary Johnson » Mon Mar 14, 2016 5:46 pm

I always assumed it was a publicity shot for KID AUTO RACES since Lehrman looks to be still playing the role of the agitated director.

Richard M Roberts
Godfather

Postby Richard M Roberts » Mon Mar 14, 2016 7:55 pm

Gary Johnson wrote:I always assumed it was a publicity shot for KID AUTO RACES since Lehrman looks to be still playing the role of the agitated director.

That was no role playing, Lehrman WAS an agitated director, especially when Chaplin was around.

RICHARD M ROBERTS