Keystone Photo

Interact with your favorite SCM authors, producers, directors, historians, archivists and silent comedy savants. Or just read along. Whatever.
Mark A Anderson
Cugine

Keystone Photo

Postby Mark A Anderson » Sun Oct 04, 2009 12:50 am

I've been trying to identify the movie this still is from. My best guess is "His Busted Trust" (1916)
Starting with Frank Hayes in the middle, then to the right: Shorty Hamilton, Slim Summerville and Bobby Dunn? I bet this will be much easier for all you experts, as I have only been researching Frank Hayes' personal portfolio of close to 300 artifacts for the year and a half I've owned them. It's been much fun and I've learned a great deal, but not like the life time some of you have in experience.
Thanks for the help!
Attachments
His Busted Trust.jpg
His Busted Trust.jpg (56.79 KiB) Viewed 12129 times

Richard M Roberts
Godfather

Re: Keystone Photo

Postby Richard M Roberts » Sun Oct 04, 2009 2:16 am

Mark A Anderson wrote:I've been trying to identify the movie this still is from. My best guess is "His Busted Trust" (1916)
Starting with Frank Hayes in the middle, then to the right: Shorty Hamilton, Slim Summerville and Bobby Dunn? I bet this will be much easier for all you experts, as I have only been researching Frank Hayes' personal portfolio of close to 300 artifacts for the year and a half I've owned them. It's been much fun and I've learned a great deal, but not like the life time some of you have in experience.
Thanks for the help!

I don;t think this is HIS BUSTED TRUST, I think this is a Fox comedy. That's Joe Murphy, not Slim Summerville, and I think the far right guy is James C. Morton, and perhaps Jack Cooper as the far left policeman.

RICHARD M ROBERTS

Mark A Anderson
Cugine

Postby Mark A Anderson » Sun Oct 04, 2009 4:12 am

Very helpful. I'll follow that lead. Frank did a great many Fox Comedies that he isn't credited for on IMDb, for example the photo of Frank with a lion in the book "The Keystone Kid". That movie is "Wild Women and Tame Lions" (1918) So I'll focus my research on Fox. Thanks!

Steve Massa
Capo

Postby Steve Massa » Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:45 am

I think Richard's right on the money with this being a Fox Comedy. It's definitely Jack Cooper and Joe Murphy, plus the little bald guy is Bynunsky Hymen. They were all regulars in the circa 1918 to 1920ish Fox shorts. The monkey may be Josephine and the dog is the one who works with her in the Campbell Comedies and a few of the Dippy-Doo-Dads. They were owned by Tony Campanaro, and Coy Watson talks about working with them in his book.

Steve

Brent Walker
Capo

Postby Brent Walker » Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:32 pm

Thanks Mark, great photo!

I'm wondering if, in Frank Hayes' archives, there are any photos of his family--particularly his son Ward Hayes (a comedy director who died very young in 1925). Also of his daughter Venice Hayes, who was in a number of Keystone comedies (though I've never seen an official photo identified as her, I was able to figure out who she was--though she doesn't really look a lot like Frank). I've thought that, knowing Venice was in Keystones, it also may be likely that Ward was in some as well. (Even though it would be too late to make my Sennett book, which I'm furiously indexing right now.)

Brent Walker

Mark A Anderson
Cugine

Postby Mark A Anderson » Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:31 pm

Ward Hayes' draft record shows that he was a "draper" at Keystone when he registered for the draft in 1917. I have one movie still that I believe is Venice in a movie starring Harry Gribbon. But I do have the entire "family portrait" also for the Hayes family. As none of them were Frank's kids they look nothing like him. Venice was most proud that she was an extra in DeMille's "The Rose of the Rancho" 1914. I have photos of her in that.
Mark