Nitrateville Answer Dept: Actor in THE GARAGE (1920)

Interact with your favorite SCM authors, producers, directors, historians, archivists and silent comedy savants. Or just read along. Whatever.
Richard M Roberts
Godfather

Nitrateville Answer Dept: Actor in THE GARAGE (1920)

Postby Richard M Roberts » Thu Dec 15, 2016 2:50 pm

Somebody over at Nitratevile asked:

http://www.nitrateville.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=23325

Likely no one over there will get it, it's Charles Dorety.

RICHARD M ROBERTS

Tommie Hicks
Capo

Re: Nitrateville Answer Dept: Actor in THE GARAGE (1920)

Postby Tommie Hicks » Tue Dec 20, 2016 4:54 pm

When I first viewed THE GARAGE many moons ago, it was a very dupy standard 8mm print. I thought at the time that it was Buster playing the Dorety role. This is Dorety imitating Jack Cooper which he did often. Dorety also imitated Buster Keaton in TWILIGHT BABY.

Richard M Roberts
Godfather

Re: Nitrateville Answer Dept: Actor in THE GARAGE (1920)

Postby Richard M Roberts » Tue Dec 20, 2016 6:11 pm

Tommie Hicks wrote:When I first viewed THE GARAGE many moons ago, it was a very dupy standard 8mm print. I thought at the time that it was Buster playing the Dorety role. This is Dorety imitating Jack Cooper which he did often. Dorety also imitated Buster Keaton in TWILIGHT BABY.

Yes, Dorety and Cooper seem interchangeable in the top hatted role, they seemed to trade off in the Fox Sunshines, then Dorety even carried the character over into those faux Billy West comedies Bulls Eye made like DON'T PARK HERE (1920).

Dorety also imitates Buster Keaton in the Educational talkie CRASHING HOLLYWOOD (1931) directed by Roscoe Arbuckle.

RICHARD M ROBERTS