KING OF THE CIRCUS (Der Zirkuskoenig) Max Linder

Interact with your favorite SCM authors, producers, directors, historians, archivists and silent comedy savants. Or just read along. Whatever.
Richard M Roberts
Godfather

KING OF THE CIRCUS (Der Zirkuskoenig) Max Linder

Postby Richard M Roberts » Mon Jul 03, 2017 1:56 am

Here it is, Max Linder's last film, produced and released by Vita-Film (not the film cleaner) in France January 12, 1925, directed by Edouard Emile Violet, featuring Max with Vilma Banky, Eugen Burg, Gyula Szoreghy, Ernst Gunther, Victor Franz, and apparently a 12 year old Kurt Kaznar:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOWOl8qiDH4

RICHARD M ROBERTS

Ed Watz
Associate

Re: KING OF THE CIRCUS (Der Zirkuskoenig) Max Linder

Postby Ed Watz » Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:00 am

Thanks so much, Richard - this is surely a Holy Grail for Max Linder fans, and as his final film it's nothing to be ashamed of. After the fascinating but bizarre AU SECOURS!, it's good to see Max characteristically again as a playboy, escaping from Papa for a night on the town. His breezy style and comic timing is undiminished, what a shame he and his wife would end their lives later that same year.
"Of course he smiled -- just like you and me." -- Harold Goodwin, on Buster Keaton (1976)

Joe Moore
Associate

Postby Joe Moore » Tue Jul 04, 2017 2:52 pm

Now if someone would only post The Little Cafe (1919).

Ed Watz
Associate

Postby Ed Watz » Tue Jul 04, 2017 3:21 pm

Joe Moore wrote:Now if someone would only post The Little Cafe (1919).

Enrique Bouchard used to sell THE LITTLE CAFE in 16mm. A friend of mine bought a print but he told me that the image was so dark that you had to exert yourself just to try and follow the action. Incidentally, the sound remake of THE LITTLE CAFE, PLAYBOY OF PARIS (1930) starring Maurice Chevalier in Max's role, is a very good straight comedy with many slapstick touches, quite different from all Chevalier's other early sound-era work.
"Of course he smiled -- just like you and me." -- Harold Goodwin, on Buster Keaton (1976)