Billy West Festival

Interact with your favorite SCM authors, producers, directors, historians, archivists and silent comedy savants. Or just read along. Whatever.
Richard M Roberts
Godfather

Billy West Festival

Postby Richard M Roberts » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:08 am

Well, here's your chance to get immersed in Billy West's Chaplin impersonations (and Oliver Hardy's support) if you've never had the opportunity:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1NN0s61dHI&t=6028s

All in a row:
THE HOBO
THE PEST
THE CANDY KID (and it's an old video off of my print!)
THE VILLAIN(LITTLE NELL)
CUPIDS RIVAL
THE ROGUE
HE'S IN AGAIN
BRIGHT AND EARLY

RICHARD M ROBERTS

David Pickard

Re: Billy West Festival

Postby David Pickard » Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:21 pm

It will be an interesting watch. I have seen some of these films and do have an incomplete copy of 'The Candy Kid' - is the version made from your print the entire film?

Also, on the subject of Billy West, I have a minute and a half's footage from 'Playmates' - do you know if this is all the footage that exists or whether there is more?

Richard M Roberts
Godfather

Re: Billy West Festival

Postby Richard M Roberts » Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:38 pm

David Pickard wrote:It will be an interesting watch. I have seen some of these films and do have an incomplete copy of 'The Candy Kid' - is the version made from your print the entire film?

Also, on the subject of Billy West, I have a minute and a half's footage from 'Playmates' - do you know if this is all the footage that exists or whether there is more?

Yep, that's the version, I have something like the first reel and first third of the second reel, and it was transferred by Grapevine years ago, I always recognize it when it turns up on Youtube videos and elsewhere, because it always ends in the same place and I kppe hoping to find the end of the film. That also means the print of CUPIDS RIVALS used here is probably from my print, it's amazing how many video copies made from my prints turn up on Youtube, usually from old Grapevine or Unknown video transfers, as well as general bootlegging from Laughsmith or AllDay Video transfers.

What survives on PLAYMATES derives from the footage Paul Killiam saved in his SILENTS PLEASE compilation THE CLOWN PRINCES OF HOLLYWOOD, which is the scene with West, Hardy and Rosemary Theby playing children, and the scene with West and Charles Parrott as the drug addict, it makes about three or four minutes of footage which was apparently taken from an incomplete print Killiam had access to at the time, which has seemed to disappear since. I have the fine-grain material Killiam made of this footage.

RICHARD M ROBERTS