THE DUMMY (1916) Lupino Lane

Interact with your favorite SCM authors, producers, directors, historians, archivists and silent comedy savants. Or just read along. Whatever.
Richard M Roberts
Godfather

THE DUMMY (1916) Lupino Lane

Postby Richard M Roberts » Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:01 am

Here's a very early Lupino Lane Little Nipper comedy made in England by Homeland-Globe, released December, 1916, directed by W. P. Kellino and featuring Lupino Lane with Winifred Delavente:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hMQsSv6naQ

RICHARD M ROBERTS

Tommie Hicks
Capo

Re: THE DUMMY (1916) Lupino Lane

Postby Tommie Hicks » Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:40 pm

I have always wanted to see some of Lupino Lane's British comedies. It is much different than his American slapstick shorts yet nonetheless fascinating. I am seeing jump cuts where people are touched or hit by another, likely censor cuts. It seems the surviving print of Lloyd Hamilton's THE OPTIMIST has these same physical contact cuts. I thought the Pennsylvania Censor Board was bad......

Richard M Roberts
Godfather

Re: THE DUMMY (1916) Lupino Lane

Postby Richard M Roberts » Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:29 pm

Tommie Hicks wrote:I have always wanted to see some of Lupino Lane's British comedies. It is much different than his American slapstick shorts yet nonetheless fascinating. I am seeing jump cuts where people are touched or hit by another, likely censor cuts. It seems the surviving print of Lloyd Hamilton's THE OPTIMIST has these same physical contact cuts. I thought the Pennsylvania Censor Board was bad......

I've seen countless prints with splices on the slaps or slugs when the contact is made, always thought it was a pointless censor cut because you'd see the person move to strike someone, then a splice, then the hittee falling or covered in muck or whatever, the contact frames were the least necessary part of the action.

RICHARD M ROBERTS