A challenge: Find a stranger silent comedy

Interact with your favorite SCM authors, producers, directors, historians, archivists and silent comedy savants. Or just read along. Whatever.
Chris Seguin

A challenge: Find a stranger silent comedy

Postby Chris Seguin » Sun Nov 01, 2009 7:05 pm

I defy anyone to find a more avant garde, mainstream, Hollywood produces, silent two-reel comedy than "Wiggle Your Ears", starring Hal Roach's beloved Rascals.
And this from an era when Pete the Pup attempted suicide and Wheezer was attacked by giant chickens in a Dippy Doo Dads fever dream.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xs2aDkULv8U

Chris

Richard M Roberts
Godfather

Re: A challenge: Find a stranger silent comedy

Postby Richard M Roberts » Sun Nov 01, 2009 7:44 pm

Chris Seguin wrote:I defy anyone to find a more avant garde, mainstream, Hollywood produces, silent two-reel comedy than "Wiggle Your Ears", starring Hal Roach's beloved Rascals.
And this from an era when Pete the Pup attempted suicide and Wheezer was attacked by giant chickens in a Dippy Doo Dads fever dream.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xs2aDkULv8U

Chris

That might just get my vote. It's obvious that Bob McGowan if taking off on european filmmaking, and perhaps it's a bit adult even for the Gang, but it's always been a hoot. Now, for real surrealness though, Henry Lehrman stuff like WET AND WARMER has it beat hands down........

RICHARD M ROBERTS

David B Pearson
Capo

Postby David B Pearson » Mon Nov 02, 2009 4:41 am

I dunno. Maybe MYSTERY OF THE LEAPING FISH.

Sara Ackerman
Cugine

Postby Sara Ackerman » Wed Nov 04, 2009 11:01 am

Wiggle Your Ears is...interesting.

The Mystery of the Leaping Fish is very surreal.

I've yet to see the other Our Gang short and Wet and Warmer.

Sara

Jim Kerkhoff
Capo

Postby Jim Kerkhoff » Wed Nov 04, 2009 6:39 pm

I think Keaton's "The Playhouse" is a great example of surreal cinema - and a jaw-dropping example of pioneering special effects that are totally seamless. Snub Pollard's "The Mystery Man" is also quite bizzare as well as Billy Franey's "The Cameraman."

Jim K