Over an Hour of Known and Unknown Silent Comedy Clips

Interact with your favorite SCM authors, producers, directors, historians, archivists and silent comedy savants. Or just read along. Whatever.
Rob Farr
Godfather

Over an Hour of Known and Unknown Silent Comedy Clips

Postby Rob Farr » Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:38 am

From the John Allen Archives. This is their comedy demo reel. Sadly, the choppy nature of this was the result of Allen cutting the original negatives into bits and pieces. But there is plenty to explore here and doubtless some fragments of lost comedies. https://www.allenarchive.com/vid.php?uri=373786660
Rob Farr
"If it's not comedy, I fall asleep" - Harpo Marx

Steve Rydzewski
Associate

Re: Over an Hour of Known and Unknown Silent Comedy Clips

Postby Steve Rydzewski » Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:42 pm

Naturally I hung around and watched the whole thing, Rob, and waited for Ben Turpin to show up. No such luck. But I saw almost everyone else like Frank Hayes; Billy Ruge; Burns and Stull; Al St. John in a couple different things; Larry Semon out west with Lucille Carlisle, Fatty Alexander, Bill Hauber, Eddie Gordon; Bobby Dunn solos and one supporting Charlie Murray; couple different Billy Bevan's; Vernon Dent; a Harry Gribbon; Marvin Loback & Joe Young in a Weiss Bros thing; Barney Hellum in a close-up; Milburn Morante; Eddie Lyons; Jack Cooper; Paul Parrott, Eddie Baker, & Mark Jones; Eddie Quillan with Madeline Hurlock and Alma Bennett from 'Catalina Here I Come;' Snub Pollard at Roach and an early Essanay; Harold Lloyd and Snub; Snooky, etc, etc. with some dramatic things thrown in. Just odd reel clips and possibly censored footage. An editors nightmare! LOL Thanks for the heads up, Rob. That was a fun watch and I'd love to see more.

- SteveR

Michael J Hayde
Associate

Postby Michael J Hayde » Mon Mar 01, 2021 11:26 am

Finally, I get to be John Bengtson!

That first Bobby Dunn comedy scene was shot on the 5900 block of Franklin Avenue, between Tamarind and Bronson. When Myra and I lived on Beachwood Drive, we would walk past this area many, many times to get groceries at the Albertson's on the other side of Bronson (now a Gelson's).

For some reason, I can't get the image URL to embed, but the "then and now" shot can be viewed here:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1JVdezf ... sp=sharing
(LINK UPDATED)

As an aside, I'm happy to see that Counterpoint Music and Books is still in operation. I enhanced my LP collection at that place for years!

Michael
Last edited by Michael J Hayde on Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

DaveGlass

Postby DaveGlass » Tue Mar 02, 2021 8:05 am

Thanks for that Rob (and Steve & Michael).
Some wonderful footage but it gives me a mixed feeling of happy and sad.
Happy - to see some of these rare clips in such stunning quality.
Sad - to know those films have been hacked to bits, and the original films (presumably) no longer exist.

Incidentally, the second Billy Bevan clip on the boat is from the "lost" Sennett DOWN TO THE SEA IN SHIPS. Looks like it was a gem.
There's another clip from that film in a seperate "reel", if you search for Billy.
And if you delve deeper, you'll find many more delights, hidden away in various other "reels".
An Aladdin's cave!
https://www.allenarchive.com/screeners.php

Dave

Robert Moulton
Cugine

Postby Robert Moulton » Fri Mar 05, 2021 6:00 pm

I love Bengtsoning too!

Looks like the jump off the building at 26:10 was filmed at the former Security Bank Building at 6385 Hollywood Boulevard. The building still stands and can be viewed on Google Maps. Here's a contemporary view.