The Brother of Fatty Arbuckle...

Interact with your favorite SCM authors, producers, directors, historians, archivists and silent comedy savants. Or just read along. Whatever.
Joan Myers
Associate

The Brother of Fatty Arbuckle...

Postby Joan Myers » Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:58 pm

I don't think so.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-1912-Brothe ... 1|294%3A50

SFXArchive is a reputable dealer, but the photo is misidentified on the back.

Joan

Paul E. Gierucki
Godfather

Re: The Brother of Fatty Arbuckle...

Postby Paul E. Gierucki » Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:54 pm

The photo is indeed of Maclyn Arbuckle -- but he was not Roscoe's brother. Or his cousin. Or uncle. Or anything. He was, however, the original star of the popular stage play THE ROUNDUP. He beat our lad Roscoe to the role of Slim Hoover by about 13 years.

Thanks for the post, Joan, I just may bid on this myself!

-- Paul E. Gierucki

Sara Ackerman
Cugine

Postby Sara Ackerman » Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:22 am

Just don't keep bidding against yourself. :D

Sara

Paul E. Gierucki wrote:The photo is indeed of Maclyn Arbuckle -- but he was not Roscoe's brother. Or his cousin. Or uncle. Or anything. He was, however, the original star of the popular stage play THE ROUNDUP. He beat our lad Roscoe to the role of Slim Hoover by about 13 years.

-- Paul E. Gierucki

Agnes McFadden
Cugine

Postby Agnes McFadden » Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:42 pm

So then who actually is Maclyn Arbuckle?

Agnes McFadden
Agnes McFadden

Joan Myers
Associate

Postby Joan Myers » Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:05 pm

Paul E. Gierucki wrote:The photo is indeed of Maclyn Arbuckle -- but he was not Roscoe's brother. Or his cousin. Or uncle. Or anything. He was, however, the original star of the popular stage play THE ROUNDUP. He beat our lad Roscoe to the role of Slim Hoover by about 13 years.

-- Paul E. Gierucki

I'm sorry, Paul, you must be wrong. That fount of all knowledge, Wikipedia, says that Maclyn was Roscoe's cousin. So there.

Joan

Paul E. Gierucki
Godfather

Postby Paul E. Gierucki » Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:31 am

Wikipedia, indeed... That'll get you ten minutes in the corner, J, and no milk before nap time. You may, however, have a cookie.

Maclyn and Roscoe shared a fairly common last name, had similar physiques, some small facial resemblance, both appeared on stage, starred in films, both essayed the role of Slim Hoover in THE ROUNDUP (though several years apart), and Maclyn died in 1931 while Roscoe died shortly afterward in 1933, but that's where the similarities end. They were not related.

In short, Maclyn was a celebrated stage performer who specialized in folksy / homespun character roles.

Interesting that this topic should come up now as I've just been reading the original pressbook for THE ROUNDUP. Most of the stories therein are surprisingly accurate. They reference Maclyn as the originator of the role -- and expressly state that he was not a relative of Roscoe!

-- PG

Joan Myers
Associate

Postby Joan Myers » Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:46 am

Paul E. Gierucki wrote:Wikipedia, indeed... That'll get you ten minutes in the corner, J, and no milk before nap time. You may, however, have a cookie.

Maclyn and Roscoe shared a fairly common last name, had similar physiques, some small facial resemblance, both appeared on stage, starred in films, both essayed the role of Slim Hoover in THE ROUNDUP (though several years apart), and Maclyn died in 1931 while Roscoe died shortly afterward in 1933, but that's where the similarities end. They were not related.

-- PG

I hope you know I was speaking ironically! Although, c'mon--with all those similarities, how could they not have been related? Seems perfect Wikipedia logic to me.

No really, perfect.

Actually my favorite Wikipedia story has nothing to do with film at all. A friend was looking for information on the stars in the zodiac (astronomical, not astrological) and found, to his great surprise, that the brightest star in the Cancer constellation was "Beta Carotene." It was corrected later, but I'll bet you a lot of vitamin-enriched high school science papers were submitted before it was.

Joan

Paul E. Gierucki
Godfather

Postby Paul E. Gierucki » Tue Jun 16, 2009 2:22 pm

Of course I knew, J! You wouldn't have gotten the cookie if I didn't. Ha.

I am amazed, however, by the number of people who actually treat Wikipedia as a reliable source. Folk like ourselves scrupulously avoid it, unknowing web users take every entry as gospel. A frightening turn of events from any historian's standpoint.

-- PG

R. Joseph Physician
Cugine

Postby R. Joseph Physician » Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:35 pm

Soooo the Wiki entry listing Carbuncle 'Juicy' Arbuckle as Roscoes true father is to be given no credence?

--R. Joseph Physician
If You Do Not See The Name R. Joseph Physician At The Bottom Of The Above Post It Was Not Posted By R. Joseph Physician. Beware Of Imitators.

Eric Stott
Cugine

Postby Eric Stott » Tue Jun 23, 2009 3:21 pm

I removed the Roscoe references from the Wikipedia article- lets see just how long that happens, and if I get slapped for "Vandalizing" the article.