A BLONDE'S REVENGE (1926) Ben Turpin

Interact with your favorite SCM authors, producers, directors, historians, archivists and silent comedy savants. Or just read along. Whatever.
Richard M Roberts
Godfather

A BLONDE'S REVENGE (1926) Ben Turpin

Postby Richard M Roberts » Tue Apr 19, 2022 3:38 am

Great Ben Turpin Mack Sennett comedy released by Pathe' on December 18, 1926, directed by Eddie Cline and Del Lord and featuring ben with Vernon Dent, Ruth Taylor, Barbara Tennant, Thelma Parr, Irving Bacon, Johnny Burke, Dave Morris, Barney Hellum, Mary Ann Jackson and William McCall:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWq57P08MlM

RICHARD M ROBERTS

Ed Watz
Associate

Re: A BLONDE'S REVENGE (1926) Ben Turpin

Postby Ed Watz » Tue Apr 19, 2022 4:33 am

So much for Bill Everson's assertion that Mack Sennett didn't change with the times. An excellent comedy in every way as you pointed out, Richard. It's strange how this top Sennett short remained obscure in the days of home movie collecting, even though Robert Youngson used frame enlargements from this short (though not film clips) to promote WHEN COMEDY WAS KING.
"Of course he smiled -- just like you and me." -- Harold Goodwin, on Buster Keaton (1976)

Richard M Roberts
Godfather

Re: A BLONDE'S REVENGE (1926) Ben Turpin

Postby Richard M Roberts » Tue Apr 19, 2022 6:45 am

Ed Watz wrote:So much for Bill Everson's assertion that Mack Sennett didn't change with the times. An excellent comedy in every way as you pointed out, Richard. It's strange how this top Sennett short remained obscure in the days of home movie collecting, even though Robert Youngson used frame enlargements from this short (though not film clips) to promote WHEN COMEDY WAS KING.

I don't know Ed, I've had a British 8mm print of this for decades, it just seemed to be one Blackhawk missed out on for some reason or another.

RICHARD M ROBERTS