In Search of Lupino Lane on DVD

Interact with your favorite SCM authors, producers, directors, historians, archivists and silent comedy savants. Or just read along. Whatever.
David B Pearson
Capo

In Search of Lupino Lane on DVD

Postby David B Pearson » Sun Feb 07, 2010 1:14 pm

Why is this so very hard to find?

DBP

Richard M Roberts
Godfather

Re: In Search of Lupino Lane on DVD

Postby Richard M Roberts » Sun Feb 07, 2010 3:51 pm

David B Pearson wrote:Why is this so very hard to find?

DBP

Because it would sell three copies.

RICHARD M ROBERTS

Nicole Arciola
Cugine

Postby Nicole Arciola » Sun Feb 07, 2010 4:24 pm

I'll buy 2.

Agnes McFadden
Cugine

Postby Agnes McFadden » Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:12 pm

I would definately buy the other one.

Agnes McFadden
Agnes McFadden

David B Pearson
Capo

Postby David B Pearson » Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:57 am

And I'd still be out of luck.

Jeffrey Nelson
Associate

Postby Jeffrey Nelson » Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:37 pm

I bet it'd sell at least as well as Weiss-O-Rama. (Which I bought. And I'd buy Lupino too, in a heartbeat. So there's at least four copies. Better make one more so David P. can have one.)

Richard M Roberts
Godfather

Postby Richard M Roberts » Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:15 pm

Jeffrey Nelson wrote:I bet it'd sell at least as well as Weiss-O-Rama. (Which I bought. And I'd buy Lupino too, in a heartbeat. So there's at least four copies. Better make one more so David P. can have one.)

Probably not. Part of the reason we decided to go with WEISS-O-RAMA was that we had facial recognition with Ben Turpin and Snub Pollard, who have that sort of archetype status visually with even folk who don't know them by name but think of them in terms of silent comedy. It was also a different economy and DVD market when we did that DVD just three years ago (in other words, nobody would be putting out WEISS-O-RAMA today). No matter how much our little group may admire Lupino Lane, he has zero recognition here in the states, and frankly, I'm not sure how much he has in the UK anymore. Perhaps a Grapevine or Unknown Video collection, but I doubt a major collection is forthcoming (of course, if there's one of those dreamers out there in the mood to lose money, I've got prints of a dozen or so Lanes).

RICHARD M ROBERTS

Jim Kerkhoff
Capo

Postby Jim Kerkhoff » Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:41 pm

Oh, darn! So I guess there's no hope of a Musty Suffer DVD set either, huh. Nuts.

Jim K

Jeffrey Nelson
Associate

Postby Jeffrey Nelson » Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:41 pm

Probably not. Part of the reason we decided to go with WEISS-O-RAMA was that we had facial recognition with Ben Turpin and Snub Pollard, who have that sort of archetype status visually with even folk who don't know them by name but think of them in terms of silent comedy. It was also a different economy and DVD market when we did that DVD just three years ago (in other words, nobody would be putting out WEISS-O-RAMA today). No matter how much our little group may admire Lupino Lane, he has zero recognition here in the states, and frankly, I'm not sure how much he has in the UK anymore. Perhaps a Grapevine or Unknown Video collection, but I doubt a major collection is forthcoming (of course, if there's one of those dreamers out there in the mood to lose money, I've got prints of a dozen or so Lanes).

You're right, it was a different market back then, and Ben and Snub are more recognizable faces. But hell, I'd definitely settle for an Unknown Video Lupino Lane collection, perhaps with cracklin' piano scores by Frederick Hodges and/or Ben Model. Chris Snowden's silent film DVD product is the best I've seen outside the issuers of pressed DVDs, mastered from nice film prints and with specially composed music scores instead of synched existing recordings. Nice custom covers too. And you gotta love his silent film fridge magnets, which are the best damn fridge magnets I've EVER seen, and are currently displayed all over my (you guessed it) fridge.

C'mon, Chris, let's have some Lupino. Maybe you could drum up some pre-order action to help cover initial costs. If you set that up, you've got my money in advance.

Bill Sprague

Postby Bill Sprague » Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:45 pm

I have a few of these on DVD for only $1 per reel . 10 reel minimum order http://www.moviechronic.com