Roscoe Arbuckle and the Eads Castle Cafe

Interact with your favorite SCM authors, producers, directors, historians, archivists and silent comedy savants. Or just read along. Whatever.
Joan Myers
Associate

Roscoe Arbuckle and the Eads Castle Cafe

Postby Joan Myers » Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:43 pm

Interesting little ad from the LA Times just appeared in Larry Harnisch's blog. "June 10, 1930: Roscoe Arbuckle is no longer connected in any way with the famous Eads Castle Cafe." I wonder if Rhode Island Red fried chicken tastes substantially different from Plymouth Rock fried chicken?
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/thedailymirror/

Joan

Paul E. Gierucki
Godfather

Re: Roscoe Arbuckle and the Eads Castle Cafe

Postby Paul E. Gierucki » Wed Jun 10, 2009 4:55 pm

Interesting circumstances around that ad. In addition to running the Plantation Cafe (not Club) Arbuckle also opened a restaurant called Roscoe's, formerly Ead's, which was located just a few blocks away from the Chaplin studio. Following the market crash, Arbuckle was forced to sell off his interest in the Cafe and defaulted on his lease for Roscoe's. The former owner of Ead's regained possession of the restaurant and, in an effort to distance himself from and insult Arbuckle, ran multiple newspaper ads. The entire story, complete with pictures and menus, is in my book.

And before anyone asks, yes, I am working just as hard as I can to finish it this year. So many projects, so little time...

-- Paul E. Gierucki
Last edited by Paul E. Gierucki on Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sara Ackerman
Cugine

Re: Roscoe Arbuckle and the Eads Castle Cafe

Postby Sara Ackerman » Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:43 pm

Oooh! I know your book is going to be THE BEST BOOK on Arbuckle. I sure can't wait to read it.

Sara